• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

W900 Worth Saving?

Truck Shop

A restored A model long hood depending on what's under the hood and rails is running as high as
$165,000.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Detroits are fine in Flatland country, so long as do not feed them great amounts of weight. Get them in the Hill and mountains lands they lay down A LOT. 92 series jakes sucked, made a lot of noise did very little.

If HAVE to go driptroit then stick with simple engine avoid all the high cost little yield add ons. If were me I would avoid the two strokers for ALL the reasons have been delivered so far. 3408, 3406, C series even BC series Cummins outlasted and out powered. Nothing says POWER like a Dry sleeve MaxiDyne Mechanical Bulldog on a Triplex.

crane operator

I am guessing the A model cab would be worth more with a 3406E Cat,

It would be way easier to just be B model that is air to water cooled. Or a big cam III. And they in "real life" won't be short of power. Then you don't have to deal with any electric, or air to air. A good 3406 at 425 or big cam III at 400 will be fine with torque and gears, and be not much different at reasonable weights and speeds. Under 65mph and under 110,000.

dieseldog5.9

I drove a tanker once in a while in Colorado with a 6v92 in a GMC General, not in the hills, you wouldn't pull out of the entrance of the shop if a car was on the horizon, if you smelled a hill take a gear.

The Autocar has a 3406B Cat but was hoping not to tear that apart. I have a collection of parts from Western Star that will fit the AT64 Autocar.

I will keep my eye out for a Cat B model, something will come up.

dieseldog5.9

A restored A model long hood depending on what's under the hood and rails is running as high as
$165,000.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but the truck is actually in good shape, no driver wear and tear, origional seats are in good shape. It has been off the road since the mid 80s I would guess. Maybe a good candidate to take the cab off and put on a newer chassis with an updated drivetrain.

JPV

That is a good idea, I see it being done a lot around here. It doesn't really matter all that much what brand of truck donates the frame and running gear either.

colson04

We did something similar to an old Ford my grandpa bought from a rollover. After some serious inspection by a local shop, the frame, engine, trans, etc were deemed straight and good to continue. We basically swapped hood and cab from newer truck to replace crushed cab, and prepped it for a dump body. Then sent it off to an outfitter that built and installed a forage box with scissor hoist. Once truck was completed, my grandpa called Michigan State Police who then came out, inspected vehicle and titles (chassis and cab titles), and issued a new VIN number for the 'new' truck. This was late 90s, right around 2000. The MSP issues a new VIN and some paperwork, SOS took both titles and MSP paperwork and created a new title for the truck. We ran it another 17 years until rust jacking destroyed the frame and it wasn't deemed worth repairing. Swapped the box and hoist to a newer truck and life goes on.

Truck Shop

One has to remember the old engines were governed at 2100 and cruised at 1850 to 1900. A set of 4.11's and
or 3.90 work well with a 2100 motor. 3.70-3.55 work well with the late low rpm engines.
As far as jakes are concerned-those don't go to work until 2100 on any engine. A V71 or V92 didn't have much
jake power until they hit 2200 to 2300, but even then it wasn't great.

My next engine rebuild-7FB Cat.

dieseldog5.9

I figured I would pull the torsion bar suspension and rears out, sell them, someone was looking for a set of torsion bar rears last year for a Kenworth.

Then Weld the Rockwell 46-160 airliner cutoff to lengthen the truck.

Is the 7FB a significant prefix for Caterpillar?