• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

W11B Air Leak in Fuel Line

timm9

I have searched but didn’t find anything that matches my specific issue. I’m by no ‘means’ a mechanic but have at times been forced to muddle through repairs. I live in a very rural area and have been trying to find someone knowledgeable to work on this loader for the last several months with no luck. I have a very clean, well maintained, and excellent running CASE W11B. The PO was very anal about maintenance and preventative maintenance and you can’t find any oil leaks anywhere. At one point, he installed an electric fuel pump.

There is obviously an air leak in the fuel line. If you turn on the key you can hear the electric pump run for 5 to 10 minutes or so evacuating the air. Once the pump stops running, the loader starts and runs perfectly. Everything from the pump back to the tank has been pulled, checked, and replaced.

In the absence of a knowledgeable mechanic, I’m forced to try and find the leak myself. I was hoping that someone might be willing to share any ‘tips’ or tricks in hunting down the leak. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I use this Loader for snow removal and winter is getting very close…

Tim

surfer-joe

May not be a leak. Might be that all the fuel is running back into the tank once the fuel pump is shut off. It may be because there is dirt in a check valve that is supposed to stop this, or it may be that there is no check valve. (Check valve maybe in transfer pump) Check valve may also be in injecter pump assembly. It may have a weak spring, or a stiff o-ring causing the backflow.

It sometimes takes a fuel pump a few minutes to reprime itself in these situations. May be a new line from transfer pump to injector pump is in order.

Good Luck!

timm9

Joe,

Thank you very much for the response and suggestions!

I will drag out the manual and start looking for the check valve and O ring locations. I believe that most of the fuel line (if not all of it) is new.

I appreciate the help!

Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Surfer-joe mentioned the check valve may be in the lift pump. I'm not sure which engine you have in your loader, and yours may be different, but I worked on a Case 850B once that had the Bosch lift pump with the hand primer pump on it. If you removed the hand primer pump, there was a plastic poppet type check valve there. The stupid thing kept sticking and wouldn't let the engine run. Even working the hand pump wouldn't pop it loose. It tried everything I could think of and couldn't get it to cooperate. Finally gave up and replaced the lift pump, no more problems. ;)

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
The W11 (most over engineered loader made by Case - love 'em) has 4-390 engine & these pumps are a throwaway item - you can check valves by removing hose on suction side of pump, holding your thumb over fitting & priming pump - it should hold suction for few seconds - if not - replace the pump.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
besides the fuel problem, how do you like the w11?
I ran one for 4.5 years, doing every thing from snow to base prep, and even fed an asphalt a couple times when they're loader went down.
our biggest problem was the electrical harnes in the articulation, and the lower center pin. after a few years, we just started to swap out the pin every year. (it really is just a big bolt anyways). great maching in the snow, lots of power and you could wear a just a t-shirt at 40 below 0

timm9

Thank You to all for the responses and suggestions!

I will be devoting tomorrow to solving the mystery. I bought this unit last year and ran it through the 08/09 season. It replaced an older CAT 910. It took me about an hour to get used to the different controls, and 'sitting in front' of the pins but I actually like it much better than the CAT. The first time I ran it was rather comical. I was doing 'push back' in a small commerical center I own. Everytime I hit a burm and tried to move the snow to another location I would hit the wrong control (opening the 4 in 1) and dump the snow in the middle of the parking lot with an audience...

Again, Thanks to All!

Tim

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Everytime I hit a burm and tried to move the snow to another location I would hit the wrong control (opening the 4 in 1) and dump the snow in the middle of the parking lot with an audience...

Did anyone in the audience get that on YouTube for us to enjoy? :D

timm9

LOL....

My Wife has a habit of filming anything and everything. I'll ask if she got it and has been afraid to tell me!

Tim

PS. I just told her about this post. If she has it filmed, I'm sure you will see it shortly...:)

fendtman

timm9 why do you like the cab in fron of the articultating pins? how do you think vision would be if a person had forks on it.

timm9

I don't know how to explain it. I had been 'warned' that sitting foward of the center pins would be different and I would hate it, but after running it for a while I actually prefer it. Keep in mind that I'm using it for snow removal in mountainous terrain which is different than on a job site. I might feel differently if I was running forks. My Wife says it's because I'm left handed... :)

Tim