• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L90E No forward gears

Brett8681

Hi, I have a Volvo L90E with no forward gears at the stalk. Forward gears work from the R/H arm rest switch. I get 24v from the stalk to the I-ECU, but no confirmation on the display and no gears. I have also checked power and resistance at all of the shift solenoids and they check out.
Could I possibly have a bad I-ECU? Can I swap an I-ECU from an L60E into an L90E to confirm the fault or are they different?

Thanks!

Brett8681

Update - I swapped out the I-ECU from the L90E to the L60E after carefully checking the plugs and part numbers and confirmed that the L90E has a faulty I-ECU. I pulled the module apart to see if anything was burnt out or solder traces broken but couldn’t find anything. Will order a replacement. Hope this helps someone else.

zlssefi

Is there any chance that your fnr shifter is no good or has a bad cpnnection? I have an l180 which the shifter went bad and would randomly not select gears yet the fnr switch would shft the trans perfectly.

Brett8681

I checked the voltage between the stalk shifter and the I-ECU for the F & R and it was all good, plus wiggle test to check for breakages or poor connections.
The dealer has quoted AU$4,000 to replace & reprogram.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please see attached file.
SA=FWD
SB=1st
SC=2nd
SD=REV
SE=4th
SF=3rd
So typically you'll lose solenoid SC or SA since you spend more time in fwd and it always starts in 2nd whether going fwd or rev. Try swapping the fwd solenoid with 4th. Just the magnets, leave the stems. See if that doesn't make a big difference before pulling the trigger on an I-ECU

Attachments

• E series shift solenoids.pdf
    406 KB · Views: 14

James Sorochan

Occupation
x-water & sewer construction Now farmer.
I know this is much latter on. On my L90C the micro switches in the shifter were failing. I ordered some replacements and sauldered them in. They were around $18/each. Seems to be fixed for now.