• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L40

Gilmore26

Hey guys, trying to get some help with my Volvo L 40 loader. It’s an early 2001 model the only thing that functions currently is the engine in the steering no drive no loader.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Check your brake pedal, make sure nothing is impeding it's travel up or down. Lube the pivots and work it by hand till it's really free. The inching pedal is the number one cause of "no travel" after NO OIL! Good luck

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Check your brake pedal, make sure nothing is impeding it's travel up or down. Lube the pivots and work it by hand till it's really free. The inching pedal is the number one cause of "no travel" after NO OIL! Good luck
He has no hydraulics besides steering. Our L45 has an e stop button that kills everything, can't remember if it kills steering or not. There is a rocker switch on the right post that kills hydraulics. There is a dial that turns travel speed down, and a dial to slow aux feed

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Can you include your actual model & serial? Work hydraulics is a variable displacement pump as is the HST pump. Separate animals and the steering us a separate pump on its own.

Gilmore26

Can you include your actual model & serial? Work hydraulics is a variable displacement pump as is the HST pump. Separate animals and the steering us a separate pump on its own.
I will we had the ECU and dashboard rebuilt. I had a mechanic in town working on it to no resolve. I have a back in my possession. Now it’s an older model when I towed at home it started and steered now the only function I can hear is the fuel solenoid, I will get a picture of the product ID tag. Thank you.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
So, to be clear, you've upgraded from original electronics to ECU II with the new instrument panel? Do you know if the harness between the 2 was replaced as well? Every time someone performs this conversion, they run into trouble. I believe there should be instructions included with the conversion explaining how to "program" the new ECU/ICU to teach it it's new identity. There should also have been a step which describes "clipping" a wire or removing it. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to those particular documents. But we can reverse engineer it, itlljust take time.

Gilmore26

IMG_5967.jpeg
So, to be clear, you've upgraded from original electronics to ECU II with the new instrument panel? Do you know if the harness between the 2 was replaced as well? Every time someone performs this conversion, they run into trouble. I believe there should be instructions included with the conversion explaining how to "program" the new ECU/ICU to teach it its new identity. There should also have been a step which describes "clipping" a wire or removing it. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to those particular documents. But we can reverse engineer it, itlljust take time.
I can do more digging and find out what the rebuild company did but I don’t believe that it got upgraded. If there’s any other pictures I can send you or identifiers. Let me know. I really appreciate your help.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Unfortunately, Prosis has no supporting information on the straight L40. That said, I don't recall any significant differences between the straight and early B series. I hope the attachments will be helpful.

Attachments

• L40B schem 1.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
  • L40B schem 4.pdf
    441.9 KB · Views: 1