• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo l150 wheel locked up

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldn't call it normal, but not catastrophic. I'm guessing its gonna be more along the lines of the image Nige posted. Big pieces or piece. My hope is for a readily available part or component.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I wouldn't call it normal, but not catastrophic. I'm guessing its gonna be more along the lines of the image Nige posted. Big pieces or piece. My hope is for a readily available part or component.
the oil still on the parts makes it a bit difficult to be certain but in my opinion those photos have got “catastrophic” written all over them. For a start one only one side has locked up yet both plugs are fairly similar. That tells me the debris has travelled right through the axle to the other side. I can see a few chunky bits sticking up out of the oil.

I’d be pulling the other side and the diff as well if it was mine, even if only to clean & inspect.

Last edited:

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Nige, if everyone performed maintenance the way they should, I agree, its catastrophic. . The reality, at least what I see, no one checks fluids til there's a problem. It was common for me to see black oil in a wet brake hub with lots of fuzz hanging off the plug. It's the chunky bits that make it scary.

zlssefi

It was catastrophic. Looks to me like the sun gear broke and in turn wiped out the bearing. The broken chunk of the sun gear has half shiny, half dull markings in the break. Im thinking this was broken in the loaders previous life.....

Attachments

• 20190221_133150.jpg
    20190221_133150.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 43
  • 20190221_133131.jpg
    20190221_133131.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190221_133125.jpg
    20190221_133125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 20190221_133038.jpg
    20190221_133038.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Were any other teeth of the ring gear or planets damaged? Will you be able to get away with one planet and bearing? Or are you tracking down leads for a complete hub?

zlssefi

So far the other sun gears look ok
Planet gear looks ok. Looks like just one sun gear exploded. I found a used corner for 6k, but who knows if thats any better than the one i have..

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Fatigue failure in a gear by the looks of it. It's somewhat lucky that it stayed as big lumps and didn't get ground to pulp. New oil in the axle should fix it without any more disassembly but you'll have to pay close attention to the mag plugs for a considerable time after installation. They will be picking up debirs from everywhere.
Can you post some good close-up photos of the fracture faces please. The one photo you posted was not close enough to see anything on which to base an opinion.

DB2

It was always ingrained in me that the bearing preload is of the utmost importantance on anything with a planetary drive. Too much end play and the gearsets catch hell.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
No, no preload. Straight rollers on cast axles. Everything relies on close machining tolerances. To have only one fail was a financial blessing. As Nige mentioned, usually a failure of this sort results in a hub full of grey sludge and no salvageable parts. Unfortunately, to magnaflux the remaining planets would mean destructive disassembly. You have to destroy the bearings to get them off. I would strongly recommend having the others checked. One planet doesn't absorb all the shock load by itself . Odds are the others are compromised. If not, great. But I'd get them checked if it's a front line machine.

zlssefi

I will try to get a better closeup of the fracture faces. These bearings are non adjustable. The remaining sun gears have some play in them. At the very least i plan on changing all the bearings, and maybe changing the other two sun gears.

Bluox

It was always ingrained in me that the bearing preload is of the utmost importantance on anything with a planetary drive. Too much end play and the gearsets catch hell.
Boy it's kind of obvious who has actually worked on equipment before and who has never seen it in person.
You be right on friend.
Bob

Reactions: DB2

DB2

Boy it's kind of obvious who has actually worked on equipment before and who has never seen it in person.
You be right on friend.
Bob

Thank you Bob. Yes I was referring to the bearings that mount the hub. I operate a fleet of machines with hydrostatic drive and torque hubs on the wheel end. Any sign of paste on the magnets and they get disassembled and the bearings get adjusted. Helps to avoid drama like this next picture.

zlssefi

The volvo shop disassembled the planetary in their shop. The long and short of it is that there was a shock load at some point causing the single planetary gear to break. Seeing that all the planetaries mesh at the same time we decided to change all of the planetary gears and bearings, as well as the seals and the larger bearings that carry the assembly. Parts, labor and air freight 8300.00. Let it snow!