• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L120E won't start

onemoparnut

Hey everyone I am new here and I need a little help. I am working on a Volvo L120E that is driving me nuts. The machine has an oil consumption issue that I think is coming from the turbo. It used 3.5 gallons in 6 hours but it is not smoking as bad as you would think for that amount of oil to be consumed. I pulled the intake tube apart before the intercooler and the inside of the tube is loaded with oil. Then I had it running just sitting there at an idle for about 10 minutes and it shut off. My first thought was that the machine had a shut down timer because it never missed a beat before it shut down it sounded just like the key was turned off. I tried to restart the machine and it just cranks but it wont start. so far I have cleaned all the battery connections, charged the batteries, checked that it is getting fuel to the injectors and checked all the fuses. When it cranks there are error codes that come up on the display in the dash. It says ecu error sid 006, 005, 002 one error code at a time. Volvo dealer is saying that just means that those injectors are not firing. Sorry for such a long post and thanks in advance for the help!!!

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi onemoparnut, have you checked oil level again, if its using so much the low level may not allow it to start! Those codes are for injectors alright! apart from that im not sure! how was it running before it stopped?

Aiden

onemoparnut

The machine was running great before it shut off never missed a beat. I did recheck the oil level and it is right at the full mark. The people from volvo are supposed to come out later this week but that is gonna cost a minimum of 1000 dollars. I tried everything i could think of but nothing worked. The people at volvo said it might need an ecu. Thanks for the help.

durallymax

Longshot but did you try unhooking batteries for an hour or overnight?. Turning the disconnect off on ours helps cure a lot of its problems. Thia trick actually has fixed more computer controlled vehicles than any other one in the book. Its one of the first things I always try. It never seems like it will work but a lot of times does.

Also make sure your charge is up. Computers have safety cut outs at low voltages. Check the grounds too. A lot of engines will still crank with other issues. The starting systems are usually still pretty simple.

Massage the wiring harness for the injectors while cranking.

Could end up.being the computer though too. We replaced the one in our l60e when it was new. Would you have access to another one to try first before dropping thousands? Volvo is pretty proud of parts.

Good luck.

onemoparnut

I unhooked the batteries overnight and while they were unhooked i charged them up. All the grounds that I have found I have cleaned but that does not mean I have not missed one somewhere.

Have you had any luck? Something else to check is the belt drive fuel pump. The shaft will get loose and cause it to suck air and will die and not restart. I keep one on the truck all the time.

onemoparnut

Volvo mechanic came and checked it out finally. He said the fuel pump was bad and causing the no start. He replaced the pump and it still would not start. Then he hooked up his laptop and said that it had every fault code that it could have. He said that means the ecu was bad so he replaced that and the machine is fixed. He took the old ecu apart and it had a ribbon cable that was burned off. It looked like there was a big arc that caused it to burn.

Glad to hear you are up and running. I have seen that before. Most of the the ecu failures like that are caused by jumpstarting or lightning.

onemoparnut

Well I have not jumped it and it was sunny out when this one gave up. It looks like there had been some water in there at some point. It is amazing that it cost 6,500 dollars to fix the machine, 500 of that was to replace the fuel pump that was not causing my problem.