• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo L120E EECU PSID 096

BlueCyanide86

At work, we've got a 2006 Volvo L120E w/ a D7LAE3 that is leading me on a bit of a chase. It is throwing a code for the PSID 096 which Volvo is telling me is a lack of fuel and shuts off. I can have the machine idling in front of me all day and it's just fine. However, as soon as you go to work the machine, it gives you a one minute warning and dies. This all started after I replaced a engine crankshaft position sensor because it was throwing a code. EECU PSID 022

1) I have replaced every filter on this machine after this event started happening.The water seperator had a little debris at the bottom but I have seen much worse come out of our L70E.
- I observed that the Water Seperator/ Fuel Filter between the belt driven fuel pump and tank was only half full.

2) I also observed moisture around the belt driven fuel pump and replaced that too.

Volvo recommends that I start replacing every sensor on the fuel rail, injectors, and high pressure fuel pump. I cannot see a logical reason for dumping all of these into this wheel loader unless it actually needs it(A common price every time I call Volvo is $800.... Do the decals on the side cost that much too?). Any help on where to go next would be more then appreciated.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
There have been some issues with the water separator head.

1. Problems of Racor water separator are related to the gasket between the filter element and the filter head, incorrect location of flapper, dust or dirt on flapper valve seat and incorrect location of flapper lock pin.
2. When mounting and tightening filter head and filter element together, the filter element gasket can expands inwards and make contacted with flapper valve.
3. The flapper valve in the filter head should open during pump stroke and close when releasing the pump. The flapper valve is supposed to close the bypass hole. If the gasket interferes with the flapper valve, fuel can not be supplied to engine during pump stroke.
4. The flapper valve can not be pressurized in case there is dust or dirt on flapper valve seat, then pump supplies less fuel to engine.
5. It is possible that the flapper valve is not in place which results in less fuel supply to engine.

given to me by a friendly Volvo engineer.

abostef6789

Eecu psid 0096

Dear sir,

please try to purchase a common rail tester that can be connected between the high pressure pumps and the rail to measure the build up pressure while starting.

else, please check the PSV valve located between the fuel filter and the high pressure pump.
this valve plays the role of a shutdown solenoid.

if fuel is delivered to the high pressure pumps, you should check the high pressure pumps.

mainly this code is from the injectors , the electronic injectors are damaged because of the dirt and water in the diesel.

adding a fine filter water seperator will save you much money ( less than 5 microns 3 for example).

dont try to overhaul the injectors by replace the nozzles because the injectors need to be calibrated after that.

At work, we've got a 2006 Volvo L120E w/ a D7LAE3 that is leading me on a bit of a chase. It is throwing a code for the PSID 096 which Volvo is telling me is a lack of fuel and shuts off. I can have the machine idling in front of me all day and it's just fine. However, as soon as you go to work the machine, it gives you a one minute warning and dies. This all started after I replaced a engine crankshaft position sensor because it was throwing a code. EECU PSID 022

1) I have replaced every filter on this machine after this event started happening.The water seperator had a little debris at the bottom but I have seen much worse come out of our L70E.
- I observed that the Water Seperator/ Fuel Filter between the belt driven fuel pump and tank was only half full.

2) I also observed moisture around the belt driven fuel pump and replaced that too.

Volvo recommends that I start replacing every sensor on the fuel rail, injectors, and high pressure fuel pump. I cannot see a logical reason for dumping all of these into this wheel loader unless it actually needs it(A common price every time I call Volvo is $800.... Do the decals on the side cost that much too?). Any help on where to go next would be more then appreciated.

Steve 650

if you can run the loader idle all the day without issue, and the machine throw the code after a hard work, you have either a bad fuel pump or fuel feed issue. Did somebody check the fuel feed pressure ? whats the stall speed ? check the fuel feed pump for loose pulley, the shaft seal can suck air making the code to appear. as you said you change the filters but take a very close attention to the flapper valve in the filter head, suggested you to change or by passed it and test.

Steve 650

... if you can test the high rail pressure, it supposed to code only if the pressure drop below 38000 kpa.