• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

VOLVO EW180B engine not starting

ROAMER_AUS

Engine doesn't want to start.
It cranks, and wakes up for a moment when sprayed with start spray, but no proper start.
There is plenty of fuel coming from the lift pump.
No fault codes are coming up.
On display I can see live RPM when cranking, maens that EECU is alive.
Checked electrical signals on the injectors - nothing, no voltage pulses.
Supply to EECU checked, grounds checked. Wiring to injectors checked.

Any ideas?
What else EECU needs to start impulsing signals to injectors?

Thanks!!!

ROAMER_AUS

I woudn't say that EECU controls the ground. According to schematics and pinouts from PROSIS injectors 1-2-3 A12 pin common ground, and 4-5-6 A24 pin common ground. When I measure on the pump wires I get zero volts. When I measure between pump wires and chasy ground I get 6 volts. No short to the tin that you mentioned.

I am primarely interested if anybody knows what conditions need to be met for the EECU to start firing injector pumps. I get no fault coeds from EECU, so I have no other way to test if EECU is faulty somehow or some conditions are not met.

I tried that test with VCDS for individual pump where you have to type in 4 characters for each pump, and all tests passed OK. I don't know what does EECU do to the pump to test them, but they passed.

I had one of these exact machines one time that would not start unless I unplugged the VECU, I cant remember if it was shorting/corrupting the data lines or it needs an OK signal from the VECU to start however it would start with it unplugged, ended up replacing VECU. have you tried starting it with the emergency switch in manual? Make sure all fuses are good, there is at least 2 separate 24v feeds to EECU. In vCads go to where you can read all ECUs info, sry cant remember what its under in vcads but it lists ALL the ECUs and their part number/ software etc. Make sure all or showing up. I dont know for sure what it needs to see to start however cam and crank sensor signals to start with. Im surprised you have no codes as Volvo likes setting codes if the wind blows to hard.

ROAMER_AUS

Thanks mate. I will give it a try for sure. I did check with VCADS and all ECUs are present and their data is listed, no information missing.
I tried with switch in manual. Same thing.

Last edited:

ROAMER_AUS

In addition to all the problems, Starter gave up.

Can anybody confirm for me if SE2701 needs to be 3.9kohm or 0.9kohm?
When I have a look at passive measurements for EECU, it states pins A30-A31 is speed sensor (flywheel) is 3.9kohm. But this is not flywheel sensor, it is crankshaft sensor monitoring on other side of crankshaft. So I don't know if they made mistake there maybe in the value as well? Because I am measuring 0.9kohm for this sensor.

They made another mistake for sensor SE2702. In passive measurement for TECU it states it should be 0.9 kohm, but in sensor data, it states it should be 3.9kohm. Just to add to my confusion.

Then again, if EECU is not reading any of the sensors, it should throw a error code, correct?

Thanks!

I can confirm that there is some errors/discrepancy in Prosis concerning cam and crank sensors. I have found that the data is mostly correct however they reverse sensor location with the pictures. In another words they typically show the cam and crank sensors in opposite positions but all the data, pinouts are correct-ish. ALSO Prosis is horrible about showing you correct info for your particular machine, notice it doesnt even go by machine serial number. Make sure you click on the correct profile(Where it shows different manufacturing countries and serial numbers-I ususlly go through all of them to see which best fits my machine) This still leaves you in the weeds but closer. They also leave all the Tiers in one profile, with no explanation or context that you have totally different sets of data in the same group. So you have to weed through the info to confirm you have the correct data/specs/repair info for your particular machine. I think this is where you are getting the contradicting specs. The best way I have found to tell is to find they data section that visually matches your ECM. This is not definitive but at least in my experience the ECM plugs will be on the side or on top and need the data in Prosis(or service manual per machine) that matches that ECM. On top of all that There are at least six different cam and crank sensors-probably more- that volvo has across the board, some are analog and some are digital. I dont have a new one handy to measure however I have been fooled by that also using Volvo specs even with the above knowledge. ALSO they use 2 wire sensors and 3 wire sensors and in Prosis will show a 2 wire sensor as a 3 wire sensor without any explaniation that the third wire is just a sheild.- You will find 3 wires at the sensor BUT only two of the wires end up anywhere(ECM). Yes it should show error codes for cam or crank sensor at cranking but thinking only after extended cranking, i believe they will start with a bad or unplugged cam sensor but not with a bad crank....I may have that backwards, If you have any other Volvo machines you can experiment with unplugging them to see if it cranks or what codes pop up. Just be hesitant to come to any conclusion swaping sensors from other machines as there are so many different sensors.

EDIT: When I mention "Select correct profile", that is in some sections that ask for it. NOT when selecting machine as I made it sound. :)

Last edited:

ROAMER_AUS

So it might be correct value. I will check the signal with oscilloscope just to be sure. VCADS version 2.40. Do you know by any chance what conditions EECU needs to see to start firing pump valves for injectors? It is beyond me why it won't fire. I didn't touch anything around the engine or EECU.

ROAMER_AUS

Well, mystery solved. Problem was in the starter by the looks of it. New starter and it fired up. It seems that old starter was cranking with speed just under the limit. It was oscilating between 187 and 197 when cranking with good batteries. Today as soon as I saw it crank over 200 RPM it jumped to around 800 because engine fired up. Bendix is screwed on original one, so I am concluding that it was slipping just enough to be under the limit.

I had a hunch from the start, but I wasn"t able to find information about cranking RPM.