• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC460 Engine Misfire

ejuan

Hello guys. Hope someone can help me. I´ve been having problems with an EC460 excavator. When we start the excavator in the morning it has a misfiring problem. We have to wait about 5 minutes, turn it off and start it again so the problem goes away. We thought it was a problem with fuel filters, but we´ve bleed the system before starting to make sure there is no air int the system, but it stills misfires at startup. After you turn it off and start it again after a few minutes the problem goes away. Do you have any idea what could I check?

Thanks for your help

Juan

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
Hi, is your 460 a b or c model, are there any error codes?, is there any white smoke after it starts and are you using coolant?

ejuan

Hy it is a 460B, no error codes at all. There is also no white smoke. The only thing that seems to solve the problems is turning it off and re starting it.

billythebairn

Occupation
engineer
It sounds like you may have an injector fault, if you start with misfire and don't shut it down does the misfire continue? you can use a infra red temp gun to check exhaust manifolds individually to try to determine which cylinder is down.

ejuan

Thnaks Billythebairn, it has new injectors, so I guess the problem might be somewhere else. The operator told me he has to load one hauler, turn it off an then turn it on again. I guess it has something to do with the engine temperature, and maybe a problem with a sensor or something. Any ideas guys?

ejuan

Just for you to know guys I called the dealer so we could scan the engine checking for the problem. We scanned the machine cold so we could test the failure. The scan showed injector in cylinder 1 having a problem in the line and appearing as "open circuit", wich was impossible as the machine warmed up problem was gone. After some tests we decided to clean the injector connectors with contact cleaner as I had the idea that maybe there was some oil or carbon deposit that was giving a hard time passing current to the injector while cold.

Today we started the machine cold, and it worked just fine. Hope it stays that way.

Juan