• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo EC210CL Electrical problem

suladas

Been trying to track down an electrical problem it popped up a few months ago when a battery on the machine caught fire. Currently not working is wipers, radio, heat/ac, and espar. Anytime you try the wipers nothing happens and it blows the fuse for it. The computer works fine, shows the heather controls etc just nothing happens. Although I did hear some noise when I was changing the controls, i'm pretty sure the heater is just not getting power? I have checked all fuses, changed relays around with things that are working, no change at all. At least all the fuses/relays right behind the cab unless there are more elsewhere? I did see 2 breakers above battery box but not sure how to test those? Today above the battery box I opened the controller and the converter I believe it was, both look fine from what I can tell? I'm not sure where to check next on what it could be?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I guess your machine has the Cummins engine ? if so you have some slow blow fuse's which I believe you are referring to. A battery issue that you outline sounds like overcharging. Suggest you check along the system with a Muti meter to establish what is shorting the wipers act. out.
Kind regards
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Good day
I guess your machine has the Cummins engine ? if so you have some slow blow fuse's which I believe you are referring to. A battery issue that you outline sounds like overcharging. Suggest you check along the system with a Muti meter to establish what is shorting the wipers act. out.
Kind regards
Uffex
That's a tier 3 machine. Fuse and relay box behind cab. I suspect one of your accessory relays has failed. They're the ones closer to the top. 2 pins are larger than the other 2
On the bottom of the fuse box are a bunch of little black tubes, those are diodes. They need to be checked. Before any of that, however. Open the cover to the box and take a good sniff. If it smells burnt, odds are the pcb has failed. There are 2 sandwiched in there with a ribbon between the two. If you feel comfortable, carefully disassemble to where you can see in between there. If you see damage, well you know.

suladas

That's a tier 3 machine. Fuse and relay box behind cab. I suspect one of your accessory relays has failed. They're the ones closer to the top. 2 pins are larger than the other 2
On the bottom of the fuse box are a bunch of little black tubes, those are diodes. They need to be checked. Before any of that, however. Open the cover to the box and take a good sniff. If it smells burnt, odds are the pcb has failed. There are 2 sandwiched in there with a ribbon between the two. If you feel comfortable, carefully disassemble to where you can see in between there. If you see damage, well you know.

Yes that would be it. Unfortunately this happened like 3 months ago so I am going to assume any smell would be long gone? I didn't notice anything yesterday. I swapped all relays around to no avail, though a few in the top right I know I could just swap for each other and not for anything I can know for sure works. I looked at the diodes and didn't see anything odd, but will look again.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That smell doesn't go away. If the cover is on, it holds that smell. The diodes, they have to be checked individually. A cheap harbor freight meter is enough to check them. Just make sure to put them in exactly as removed.
Will post schematic when time permits

Se.la

Occupation
Technician VOLVO, old heavy machinery
What is the fuse blows identification.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
RE3101=15A
RE3102=15B
FC03=20A fuse in or near battery or battery switch.

Hope this all helps

Attachments

• 20191026_124447.jpg
    20191026_124447.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 65
  • 20191026_124544.jpg
    20191026_124544.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 61
  • 20191026_125037.jpg
    20191026_125037.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60

suladas

Thanks. I look another look/smell and nothing at all. However the cover was off for a few days, and I had the cover off when the issue first popped up a few months ago so I wouldn't take it to mean anything. I attached a picture I don't see anything out of place. Maybe a dumb question but what am I checking with the diodes with the meter, resistance?

Attachments

• 63F9AC31-5E58-4E16-9A1A-9F5FFA1EC39C.jpeg
    63F9AC31-5E58-4E16-9A1A-9F5FFA1EC39C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 36

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You check them with the diode check function. It will show open circuit in one direction and a low voltage reading when checking the other way.
You are focusing on DI10,11,3606 &3607 which are not shown as far as location, not in the fuse panel.
Good luck on the hunt.

suladas

You check them with the diode check function. It will show open circuit in one direction and a low voltage reading when checking the other way.
You are focusing on DI10,11,3606 &3607 which are not shown as far as location, not in the fuse panel.
Good luck on the hunt.

Thank you. I see the first two, but where would 3606 and 3607 be located? Don't think I will get to this tomorrow, suppose to be almost 0F with the windshield tomorrow way too cold to be working on electrical...... Definitely need to get the heater working before my next job with this thing thankfully i've got another week.

suladas

Checks the resistance of all 8, lowest is 4.2 highest is 6.3, most were in the high 5s?

suladas

Is there more fuses etc somewhere else? I took out all plastic cover behind seat didn’t find any, above the battery box there’s just the boxes and main breakers but I’d think there would be a lot more problems is one of those was gone? When I turn the ac/heat on and change mode I hear a click but that’s it. Has to just be fuse or something burnt out that just controls all those things. Is by chance everything not working 12v and could be the convertor?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Have you checked for power at the blower? It's a real pain in the @$$ to get at. The resistor has been known to crap out from time to time.

suladas

Have you checked for power at the blower? It's a real pain in the @$$ to get at. The resistor has been known to crap out from time to time.

No I haven’t. My hunch is all these things blower, radio, Espar, wipers stopped working at the same time so I can’t think it’s likely to be anything actually wrong with them, other then them not getting power from fuse or whatnot being gone.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
You hear relays, you hear blend door motors, you see functions on control panel. My guess is blower or resistor failure.
Going by your logic is what prompted me to suggest checking diodes and circuit board in fuse panel. Those are your weak links.
I think at this point, you're committed to checking the resistor. Winter is hear after all.

suladas

You hear relays, you hear blend door motors, you see functions on control panel. My guess is blower or resistor failure.
Going by your logic is what prompted me to suggest checking diodes and circuit board in fuse panel. Those are your weak links.
I think at this point, you're committed to checking the resistor. Winter is hear after all.

Yea it couldn’t hurt. Where is it located? I don’t think it’s the blend doors, as when changing vents on screen nothing happens. I think it’s the recirculating button that made the click?