• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo ec140B Starting issues in cold

windyhill

My excavator started to develop a starter spin no crank intermittently this fall. maybe one time every 3-4 weeks. It's seamed to get worse as it gets cold. The weird thing is it will spin and miss, then the next try start up perfect, It has gotten worse with cold. It was really cold this morning and it did it 5 times in a row, then perfect start. Doesn't seam like starter is struggling at all when it works, and machine fired right up in the cold when it caught. Machine is new to me this summer, 4k hours, rebuilt motor, runs fantastic. Batteries are both only a year old. (One battery terminal did have issues, and was a bit melted and I repaired it, (PO thought a drywall screw would improve a loose connection I guess ; / ) All cables look ok and terminals are clean. I'm wondering if this sounds like just a sticky bendix or maybe a bad cable or connection still because of cold? Maybe a bad connection heats up a bit then works? it doesn't do it that I'm aware of after its been running for a while. Any ideas how to track it down? Thanks.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
my 210 did the same thing. your starter drive is shot, Bendix. The gear that comes out of the end of the starter. Maybe some lube or cleaning will get it going. It will get worse and worse till it will not work at all. I just replaced the gear. Not a bad job if you have a little experience working on starters. A reman Starter from Volvo was $750. Cost me less then $75 for the parts to fix mine.

windyhill

That makes good sense. The starter motor itself seams to work great, I’ll give shot rebuilding the drive. Did you find some place other then the dealer to get the parts reasonable? Thanks for the reply!

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have a local shop that is very good at starters, alternators and that kind of stuff. Got the parts from them.

it is a high chance to be a benix issues being dry spline, damaged spring or even worn bush in the end of the benix gear.
It would be wise to inspect your ring gear when the starter was out.
there will be two worn patches 180 deg apart so you will have to hand rotate the crankshaft to inspect the other side not visible.
cheers

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
It could be that the factory lube is drying out on the moving parts of the starter, I'd pull it and clean it, bench test it to make sure that bendix drives the gear out. Maybe lubricate with some light oil, most of the sliding is right in the nose area. Possibly lube it up, cycle it a dozen times, flush it out and lube it again.

windyhill

Man it's cold, got the starter out, spring didn't look broken. soaked spring shaft etc. with spray graphite, worked it a bunch and reinstalled. fired right up with out a miss and it was about 20 degrees. Might need a rebuild in the future but for now I think its solved! Thanks for steering me in the correct direction!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Man it's cold, got the starter out, spring didn't look broken. soaked spring shaft etc. with spray graphite, worked it a bunch and reinstalled. fired right up with out a miss and it was about 20 degrees. Might need a rebuild in the future but for now I think its solved! Thanks for steering me in the correct direction!

Find any gunk or sticky stuff left behind before slicking it up again?

windyhill

There was a little oily residue in the cone, but not much. I used Kroil penephite which I’ve had good luck with.