• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo Ec 240 engine shutting down

RKC

Excavator was running well but suddenly the engine has started abruptly shutting down when operator tries to raise the boom. Any help would be appreciated.

RKC

Checked control valve, spool. No debris or blockage wad there. Relief valve is also found to be working alright. Rest of the functions are working.

Se.la

Occupation
Technician VOLVO, old heavy machinery
EC240, B , C , D . and S/N
The dipper arm in or out in relief was ok

RKC

MCV was overhauled but problem started after a couple hours of slugging operation. Now engine starts collapsing when boom is raised and/or track is steered.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
My first thoughts are that the negative control line are cross connected, if the boom fails to stall when you operate in combination with the arm will confirm if this is the case.
Kind regards
Uffex

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I am not familiar with MCV being overhauled what exactly has been done ?
KR
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Please describe, "shutting down "
Sudden and abrupt stall, turning off as if keyed off or stalling from excessive load. MCV overhaul, were pressures reestablished after overhaul? If boom is stalling you out. Suspect port and main relief may be bottomed out. Without seeing its behavior, I'd start there.
So straight EC240 would be more Samsung than Volvo. Cummins power with stepper motor. Are you reaching full throttle at no load.

RKC

Please describe, "shutting down "
Sudden and abrupt stall, turning off as if keyed off or stalling from excessive load. MCV overhaul, were pressures reestablished after overhaul? If boom is stalling you out. Suspect port and main relief may be bottomed out. Without seeing its behavior, I'd start there.
So straight EC240 would be more Samsung than Volvo. Cummins power with stepper motor. Are you reaching full throttle at no load.
Stalling from excessive load while boom is raised. At no load machine is reaching full throttle. MCV was dismantled and all O-rings were replaced without disrupting pressure setting of any valve. Main relief valve has been replaced a month back .

RKC

My first thoughts are that the negative control line are cross connected, if the boom fails to stall when you operate in combination with the arm will confirm if this is the case.
Kind regards
Uffex
Engine is stalling when operated in combination also

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It doesn't matter that the setting itself wasn't disturbed, it's that the valve as a whole was disturbed. I would start by verifying pressure settings, if we can't establish that, everything else is a guess.
If you need specs I can look them up for you.
Another suggestion would be to track the control lines back to source. Left side pump negative control should go back to bottom left of MCV right side to right. Again, checking pressures would verify this quick enough. The wrong pump will stroke up if incorrect . The MCV will try to compensate through the center passage but it can't do everything.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
20191222_082031.jpg
Please see pressure chart. And compare against description for Boom raise function. 20191222_082348.jpg 20191222_082406.jpg
Please pay special attention to the center passage description where P2 is diverted from tank to combine with P1 to work against boom up pistons.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
I would endorse FwF suggestion I would add connect a gauge to the negative side of the cylinder raise the boom and check the back pressure should not exceed 1 or 2 bars - is there a chance the spools have been switched as this is a very unusual occurrence ?
KR
Uffex

RKC

Hydraulic pump regulator fork lever found broken. Suspecting problem there. This same lever has often broken recently. Will update as i know more.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
That is uncommon. I don't think I have ever found a broken regulator. Leaking and sticking from foreign debris but never broken. And you say this has been a repeat failure. That's gonna be a challenge to find cause.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
That is uncommon. I don't think I have ever found a broken regulator. Leaking and sticking from foreign debris but never broken. And you say this has been a repeat failure. That's gonna be a challenge to find cause.
That is true if that has happened before it indicates a fundamental issue with adjustment as FwF suggests finding the cause would be the logical way to go.
Kind regards
Uffex