• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo Contronics from older loader as a diagnostic tool?

ROAMER_AUS

Hi All,

Contronics is getting hard to find as a diagnostic tool. I noticed that older loaders from Volvo have it built into the dashboard. Is it the same thing as a service tool edition or program inside is different or something like that?

Thanks!!!

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
Yes it is the same, not sure how you adapt the cables.
Kind regards
Uffex

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Service contronics and contronics display are 2 different animals. Often, the Service contronics screen craps out, but the displays they seem to outlast the machine they're built into. Service contronics does offer troubleshooting that is not found elsewhere. Very handy in troubleshooting shift solenoids and intermittent faults

ROAMER_AUS

Ah OK, so they are different. Do you know more about the difference? Different programs in them I guess?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
No, I'm sorry, I have no additional information. My goal was, eventually, to remove a contronics display from the housing and refit to a service contronics. For whatever reason, the display seems to outlast the machines but the contronics box you might get a year out of.

ROAMER_AUS

I'm sorry, I don't get what you are saying. It seems that display is the problem? But still you have to have contronics "base" so to speak?

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Let me back up a moment. When they upgraded VCADS to techtool, there was supposed to be a contronics function in the top tabs. I personally have no experience with it. It's supposed to be there.
Back to the actual contronics device. The service contronics is a plug n play box. Since the rollout of the "tab" in techtool they quit pushing them. Now the service version, the screens don't last, for whatever reason, you get a year or two at best. The screen display in the machines last forever. My thought was if you had an old/failed service contronics, that you could connect the screen and make it work. Something I had planned on experimenting with had my dealership remained open.
If you have techtool working or techtool II, play around with the tabs across the top. See if it works for you. Good luck