• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo 930B, your thoughts?

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Looking to maybe purchase a 2014 Volvo 930B motor grader with about 1800hrs on it. It is showing a E ECU code: PPID 0273-00. Anyone know what that means. Please give me any pros or cons on buying this machine. Thanks

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
It's a good machine and should be like new with 1800 hours. Not sure what the code means. There may be a manual online.
I did a little looking on line, but most of what I saw was for Volvo cars, not heavy equipment. I am hoping someone can tell what is or where to find it.
Have you operated any Volvo motor graders?

Welder Dave

I have an older 730A Champion which is the forerunner to the Volvo. I haven't run it much. There are some members on here who have run newer Champion's and Volvo's. Cutting Edge is one of them and seems to like them. I'm sure others will see this thread and respond.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I run a 2011 940. It is comfortable to run. Parts are expensive, and Volvo itself is prone to codes. If it has a burn type exhaust DPF I think. stay far away from it. Not sure what year Volvo started using it, but our G series loaders have it and were a nightmare until they were deleted. The newer H series with DEF works fine as long as you use good quality DEF. My 2011 grader is before that stuff. Keep in mind that Volvo no longer manufactures graders, so not sure how long parts will be available.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
It was hard getting parts for them when they were in production. A lot of parts were machine specific. So once new old stock is gone, that'll be it. It's a shame. They bought Champion, made a great grader comfortable, then killed the line. I would avoid just on that fact alone.

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I run a 2011 940. It is comfortable to run. Parts are expensive, and Volvo itself is prone to codes. If it has a burn type exhaust DPF I think. stay far away from it. Not sure what year Volvo started using it, but our G series loaders have it and were a nightmare until they were deleted. The newer H series with DEF works fine as long as you use good quality DEF. My 2011 grader is before that stuff. Keep in mind that Volvo no longer manufactures graders, so not sure how long parts will be available.
I know what you are saying about Volvo after exhaust treatment. I have a 2014 Volvo ECR235D excavator and I have had to replace the EGR cooler twice before 3000 hrs. Volvo did not stand behind anything. You guys are probably right about staying away from a machine that is not being made anymore.

I work with Volvo and Champion graders on a regular basis, parts from the dealer are expensive, I'm with Jade Equipment in Edmonton. We have good prices on new and used parts.

As for the code - it's for Aftertreatment reagent pressure. Get a delete done on it and be done with that garbage system.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

Jade is good for parts and assistance but not so good on their prices. $225.00 for a fuel gauge sending unit and that's with a discount.
Some states/provinces have really hefty fines for deleting emissions . I expect it's going to spread to most if not all of them. I think there was a post on this forum not to long ago about a shop getting a huge fine for doing deletes on equipment or trucks so you may want to look into it before proceeding. Welcome to the forum Championguy, you may want to edit your post as it's probably not a good idea to mention your shop does deletes on a public forum. Better to send a PM if someone is interested.

Last edited:
We have fair mark-up, we are always trying to source a cheaper alternative and when we do we pass along the deal to our customers. Parts are getting out of hand everywhere it seems...

Welder Dave

Most parts are high but others have also mentioned Jade is typically high for parts but very knowledgeable. Also note I edited my post above.

Thank you for the heads up, post edited.

I would argue that it's a safety hazard in winter, we can't have trucks and equipment running through the bush with such unreliable systems, causing derates to the point where you can't build enough heat to stay warm, or shut down all together.

Thanks again!

Silveroddo

We have fair mark-up, we are always trying to source a cheaper alternative and when we do we pass along the deal to our customers. Parts are getting out of hand everywhere it seems...
If you're with Jade I just want to say hats off to you guys, you've the last hope these machines have for long term support. Parts are nuts on everything these days, but the effort you guys have put into exploring alternatives is appreciated.

Welder Dave

It is great having you on the forum and it's fantastic Jade specialize in Champion and Volvo graders and have a lot of used parts as well as new. Hope you stick around for the long term. There have been a couple other people that have worked for Jade and/or Champion but haven't been on the forum for a few years.

Last edited:

roysbigtoys

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Well the 930B sold for $100000 on a auction. A little rich for my blood considering all the negatives with Volvo these days. I did end up buying a 2014 Komatsu GD655-5 with 4990 hrs on it from an individual. I haven't gotten to run much since purchased. Nice so far.