• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo 17K lb backhoe behind my F350, prtty sure everything is legal... comments?

kaybee1

20160522_215733.jpgHey guys,

I just bought a used Volvo BL60 backhoe. I put it in my Big Tex with the bucket up on the neck-deck.

Spec's on everything are as follows:

Truck - 2016 F350 GCVWR: 35,000
Truck gooseneck capacity: 26,500
Trailer - BigTex 25DU GVWR: 25,900
Trailer payload capacity: 17,900
Backhoe weight: 16,975

Everything is chained down and secured except the backhoe. It will not fit in the trailer without overloading the gooseneck. It has to sit this way to balance the load. If I chain the bucket to the outside of the trailer and flag it, am I ok? Any other concerns with this rig? I'm pushing the limits of everything to the max but I'm still within operating limits on the equipment. I"m aware of the CDL requirements, thats in the works as well. Working on a Class A with air brake restrictions.

~K

kaybee1

Sorry guys... not really sure what happened here. The picture is right side up everywhere but in this post. Anyone know how to edit a post? I'm either missing it or are not permitted.

Brandt

That's a lot of weight for a P/U even if it is "rated" for it. Hope your electric brakes are of ample size and rating. I would highly recommend a pyrometer and trans temp (if an auto trans). A boost gauge wouldn't be a bad idea either. When climbing the hills of New England, don't be in a hurry to get up the hill. Keep your EGTs below 1200 and your boost 2-3 psi off of max. The 2-3 psi from max will greatly improve fuel efficiency, but you will get up the hill slower. If you EGTs start to climb, drop a gear and bring the rpm's up, this should cool things down.
Due to the strain that you will be putting on the F-350, I would recommend synthetic oils in your entire drive line, Amsoil or Royal Purple.

Any easy way out would be to buy a 90's class 8 truck that has been singled up (only 1 drive axle), and pull it with that. A buddy just bought a 92 Freightliner for $5500. Something like that will get better fuel mileage than the F350, and you're not even working it hard.

If the boom/bucket are 4' past the tail lights it has to be flagged. The chaining part I don't know, but it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Hysert

Up here in ontario are MTO ministry of transportation, requires the hoe bucket to be chained down on the trailer aswell as the loader bucket! I've been down this road, even with the boom and swing lock engage it's law up here!!