• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

volvo 160

Reuben

has anyone had any seat time in a volvo 160? or any other volvo excavator for that matter? how does it compare to other 160 class machines? whats your opinions. The local dealer is always trying to get us in to one and I have never even considered it but i need to start having an open mind.

Turbo21835

Never had any major problems with volvo machines. They are good machines, with nice cabs. Get that salesman to get the machine out there for you to demo. Im sure you will like it.

They only downsides I have found are 1 they can be picky about fuel filters. 2 Track wear. In demo work we have found the UC lasts about half the time that our Cats were last. But this is probably due to being on concrete 99% of the machines life. 3 Computers, when I was around the first ones that came out we were having a lot of updates from the dealer, and the machines would throw a lot of codes. This has gotten considerably less.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
I agree with Turbo21835, I think you will be impressed!! I have known some die hard Cat, Komatsu and Hitachi (amongest others) men converted! They are strong fast machines and fairly relyable! One of my customers, who was die hard Hitachi with some Kobelcos asked if i'd recomend a Volvo! I said i would and he bought one!!!:eek: (Im glad it done well for him He's now a firm beliver in Volvo!

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I'll be the third to agree that volvos are great machine, we have a 210BL and have been very pleased with it. As Turbo said they like fuel filters about every 250 - 300 hrs will be time to replace as they will die within about 5 minutes of being sluggish. Our buddy has a 240 and a 160, both have been very good to him as well.

Bladerunner980g

Occupation
Truck Driver, but can operate heavy equipment.
The Company I used to work for had a 160 with a nice geith thumb on it,very easy to move, nicely balenced and the it had power, i don't belive we had a cummins in it, i think it was a volvo engine but i agree with turbo go demo one i think you will really like it, if i was going to buy a excavator i would torn bettween a kobelco and a volvo hope this helps