• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

volvo 120d problems

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
we have a 2001 120d loader with a grapple attachment for unloading logs from logging trailers .. when its been really cold 20 degrees or below or rainy as it was the last 3 days it locks up in the mornings error code parking brake most the time when operator is carrying a load it will lock up almost on a dime stop sometimes not loaded.. this morning it sent out every code comp shut down , engine oil pressure, engine brake, mph sensor , parking brake ..i cant remember them all .. i got operator to turn off loader and i hit kill switch for 5 mins and restarted ,, ran fine but locked down 3 times til it warmed up...then ran fine ..... im sensing water is shorting out something but even volvo cant help us with a starting place ... the main computer is behind seat and ive blowed it out and looked for wet places..... helpppppppp

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Truecountry, Can to clear up a few things for me? is the Engine cutting out every time it locks up? or is it just locking up the wheels? if so id check the parking brake seals! The parking brake is hydaulic powered of, springs lock it on when activated or the machine is not running!! Or if you still think its eletric there is a main fuse in behind the seat for the ecu! if it blows you ll have nothing, i,d check if its lose or coroded! Not sure were it is exactly but if this helps i can track down a manual!

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
yeah ill try CPS... its running fine , it just comes to a sudden stop just like you have hit park brake button ,, and almost nose dives when loaded.error code parking brake monitoring error. the parking brake is inside the transmisson and no leaks that isee .. monday morning the operator saided it act like it did want to crank up and he only went 5 feet locked down with every error code from a to z comp shut down error, engine oil pressure low error , engine brake error, mph sensor error, parking brake error,,, only way i could get it going was cut power off hit kill switch and let stand 5 mins and restart

SweCE

Occupation
Contractor
Are the battery's fully loaded? (generator ok?)

When the electric current gets to low in the batterys everthing get's wierd.
... but I guess mostly when that happens there are diffrent problems that occur. Usally the gearbox stops changing gears, and gets locked in reverse. :)

Only thing I can think of right now.. :beatsme

(If not one of the operators apples(?) falls down from the panel above and hits the parkingbrake-button every time.. :D )

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
I am with SweCe here.
When the brushes in the generator gets worn out u get to low voltage and a lot of crazy stuff happends. Restarting helps because batterys live up and the brushes comes in contact when stopped. Check out the voltage reading in the display.
Parking brake is on most on the outside part of the gearbox, located on the axle, but bolted tight to the gearbox. small hose goes in on the top. Can be turned off by adding bolts into 3-4 holes.
User manual describes location.
Another thing is to check your grounding. Both from the battery and between the engine and chassis. Ground problems is also produsing strange electr gremlins.
Batterys and connections is also important. If you have a break in the poles/cells that goes out/in in bumps you might get problems.

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
thanks

the generator or alternater is showing 27.7 to 28 .0 volts ,, the batteries havent been checked it always cranks right up... and i never thought about a ground fault... but you will bet your as- i will do it tomorrow..

we have a 2001 120d loader with a grapple attachment for unloading logs from logging trailers .. when its been really cold 20 degrees or below or rainy as it was the last 3 days it locks up in the mornings error code parking brake most the time when operator is carrying a load it will lock up almost on a dime stop sometimes not loaded.. this morning it sent out every code comp shut down , engine oil pressure, engine brake, mph sensor , parking brake ..i cant remember them all .. i got operator to turn off loader and i hit kill switch for 5 mins and restarted ,, ran fine but locked down 3 times til it warmed up...then ran fine ..... im sensing water is shorting out something but even volvo cant help us with a starting place ... the main computer is behind seat and ive blowed it out and looked for wet places..... helpppppppp

hi i think that your l120 is loosing electrical supply to the ecu`s that is the reason all the ghost error codes are showing in the display(this is the ecu`s rebooting)and the park brake is auto on when the power is removed suggest you replace the ign switch as we have had similar strange faults and this was the cause good luck

Volvofan

Hi!
Being a Swede working with Volvo loaders for a long time my suggestion first is to Check your grounds! There are 2 critical. One is in the lower corner of the back wall in the cab where all the ECU and other grounds are fastened. Make sure you clean them and use copper paste to lube the connections. Next is the ground connections between the cab and the frame. Loosen the bolts and do the same cleaning and greasing.
Next is the ground between the engine and the chassie. Same thing.
If it still acts upp check the relay and the solenoid operating the electro hydraulic parkingbrake. Make suer you do not have a problem with the rockerswitch operating the p-brake.
Than check for other electric open circuits. The Contronic Service tool should be able to catch those. There is a log function in there that should be able to catch these events. The ground issues has to be solved first. All electric functions are grounded in side the cab!
Good luck please keep us posted!
BR
Volvofan

mcslamma

Hi, please check the resistance of the parking brake solinoid coil. If you had a park brake monitoring error, it would point me imediatly to this coil, i have had more than one that had very low resistance, down to 4 ohm, almost an open circuit. just enough not to blow the fuse, but enough to trigger a monitoring error, also temp of coil could allow it to operate at times and not others.(higher or lower resistance,) I believe it should be 25 ohm min..