• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vogele Super Pavers

bean

Anyone have experience with these pavers? We have a problem with ours creating a "chatter" or slight washboard effect on some roads but nobody has been able to figure it out.

The Tackman

Occupation
Paving Foreman in Atlanta
Could it be the rollers instead of the paver itself? What kind of electronics are you using? Maybe the sensitivity is set to high. Another question for you Bean. What model and screed are you using?

telescooper

I operate a Vogele paver, with a Carlson vision screed 5030 or something like that. We have encountered the washboard with other pavers also. One time the washbord was caused by incorrect angle of attack with the screed. On another occasion because of the screed srews ( hand cranks) needed tightened up. With the cranks loose the "screed chattered". I'm reminded of the everyday because I have been driving the same road for 10 yrs. The electronics could need adjusted they might be operating to fast. I have never experienced this on a paver but I did on a mill. I dont know how to get into the grade control computer to change that of even know what the base line numbers are. The cause could also be not maintaining a proper head of material, 90% of all paving issues are a result of not maintianing a proper head of material, or speed. Just my 2 cents

Telescooper

andoman

improper use of vibratory rollers can also amplify the problem on vertical curves.

bean

We have a Super 2100-2 with a tamperbar screed.

Its hard to blame the rollers as we have had 2 rolling crews and 2 sets of rollers and encountered the same/similar problem.

The automatics are Moba. Vogele has been around to see the paver work and came to no conclusions.

telescooper

Who was your Vogele rep? Ours was Tom, he covers Eastern Canada. Our Vogele has a vibratory screed, no tamper bar on ours. Not maintianing a consitant head of material, will cause problems. Not paving at a consistant speed can also cause problems. Are your augers set at the proper hieght? They should be around an inch or so above the bottom of the screed. If you manually control the screed using the screws does it still wash board? What kind of material are you using? We use super pave here, it musy be laid thicker. I'm thinking min course thickness is 3X the average course agg.
Just some sugestions, Telescooper

bean

thats where it gets interesting, there is no screws on the super pavers aswell we pave cold in place so material can often change during the day and from road to road. Speed is also changing allot based on the train and milling machines ability to mill the ever changing road aswell as size and mix the material properly. The vogele rep we have dealt with onsite mostly is Christian.

keep in mind the paver only has about 600 hours on it so nothing is worn out.

53cummins

sounds like you got a p p p p p p problem then
:pointlaugh sorry i must have been drivin on one of your roads :stirthepot

telescooper

bean,

How did you make out with the Vogele super paver? What was the problem?

Telescooper

bean

We turned the tamper down to next to nothing and it seemed to help however we ended up switching back to a CAT 1055B for that job.