• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Viking work pictures

joispoi

I live near a tidal river. When the tide comes in, it comes in fast enough to create a wave. When the coefficient is high enough, it can be surfed.

The river is constantly eating away at the river banks which are primarily soft clay held in place by whatever vegetation is growing. One of the nearby towns hired me to patch low spots on the levee. Here are a few pictures from today.
102.jpg
The sand is from this winter's sand bags. The disintegrated from sun exposure.
103.jpg
I couldn't get the truck any closer.
104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

Who needs a skid steer?

Last edited:

joispoi

113.jpg

114.jpg
This last winter, the water level nearly put the top rail under water.

river surfing.jpg

Surfers on the river!

joispoi

Mitch: your PM box is full.

Steve: Mitch needs a bigger inbox

AlldayRJ and ScottAR: Here ya go:

003.jpg
Unloading the mini at the stockpile
004.jpg
I love the tilt bucket, but it's hard to beat the backhoe bucket for loading.
005.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg
I didn't want to overload it since all the deliveries involved driving across soft ground.

joispoi

025.jpg

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,437
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,436
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,434
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,432
Last edited:

joispoi

026.jpg

036.jpg

037.jpg
The thumb is getting closer to being finished.

039.jpg

I added some LED work lights, today.

Last edited:

joispoi

A few pictures from a pool surround that I redid back in May

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg
Couldn't get the truck in on this job so here's the Sprinter earning its keep.
036.jpg

joispoi

Microstation job I did back in May

096.jpg

177.jpg

This job was a bit of a sad story. The homeowners put in a pool last year, but the "installer" did a horrible job. It's one of those cheap steel wall + pvc liner in ground pools. Ground water pushed the liner out of place and the only way to fix it was to put in a drain. In order to get the drain in, I had to make room to work. I took out about 100 yards from behind this house. The 1.5 ton mini proved to be useless on this job. I tried to keep the concrete wall in place to keep dirt away from the pool. I needed another 6" to get the PC50 in there. I finally got sick of bouncing off the hard clay with the volvo and took out the wall to let the komatsu in. Taking the wall down was a joke. It was built by the same pool "installer". I hooked it with the bucket and pulled on it and the whole thing slide along the footing like a sliding door on a track.
155.jpg

156.jpg

181.jpg

Last edited:

joispoi

I fixed a broken water line at my friend's farm after work a couple of weeks ago. I had an audience of about 12 cows lined up in a row watching me, but I missed the shot. This was the best I could do.

View attachment 126555

joispoi

I finished the thumb a couple of weeks ago. There are a couple of things that I could have done better on it, but it works well and I'm pretty happy with it.
093.jpg

094.jpg

095.jpg

100.jpg

I was working down by the river again last week. Here's a picture of one of the locks along the river. The river side is on the right, inland to the left. The tide is on the way out in this picture, but it hasn't gotten low enough for the lock to open up. The idea is that if there is severe flooding expected, they can open up the lock so that the flood plane takes on the water instead of having the river flood somewhere else.
101.jpg

JD8875

Thumb looks good! I wish I would have given mine a little curve when I built it, but it works well. Its so handy I'd hate to give it up that's for sure. Mine is pinned on. Takes about a minute to hook it up if I need it or drop it if I'm running straight trench work or doing something where I need to shave a few pounds off the end of the stick.

John

joispoi

Maddog & JD, thanks.

Being able to take off the thumb would be a plus in some cases. The extra width of the thumb has rendered my 30cm bucket useless for trenches deeper than 2'. Overall though, I'm happy to have the thumb.

Getting ready to unload some clay at an old gravel quarry. There were a few thousand yards of gravel that left the quarry that weren't part of the approved extraction area. The owners have been advised to restore the area to correspond with the official topographical map. I've gotten the truck close to being stuck a couple of timesat this site. The beauty of having a hooklift truck is that you can push yourself out of a bad situation with the box.

20141205_144346[1].jpg

JGibson

Looks awesome! I wouldn't want to be without mine. Why don't they use thumbs in Europe that much?