• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vertical Upwelds

sawz5

Occupation
ag machinery repairman
i have better luck with wire welders if i start at the bottom with a puddle then stop and put another puddle on top, sort of like piling coins on one another and keep going up. just my way of doing things rick

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
:eek:I can see close and read tiny, tiny print it is the light. thst is not the problem I have early early stages of cataracts. I see the light but not the surrounding work. :Banghead:Banghead I can weld by feel if it is something I can just drag up or across like a corner weld.:eek: butt weld would be tough but I guess I can make a guide to feel straight lines:eek: Antone need a bridge welded?:bash

Last edited:

skyrptz

Occupation
self employed hdequipment repair welding, pulling
set your self up near your welding machine so you can easily adjust the amperage
get a peice of scrap the same size you are planining to weld and start at the bottom of the plate and adjust the amperage till you can go straight up the plate with out weaving
just a straight line up when you can acomplish this add about 5 amps and if you prefer try apractice piece strike your arc in the center of the joint and bring the rod out to the left or right and continue making a series of inverted sevens i usually start by going from the centre out to the left then go straight over to the right and hold that position for the count of 2 move back to the center then repeat trying to keep the distance you travel to the left and right the same amount(say the thickness of a welding rod) just remember to pause at the out side corners for a count of 2. Remember that the size of the rod you are using converted to a decimal is a good place to start for a heat setting
example 1/8" rod should be some where about 125 amps, this is a pretty hard thing to describe in words much easier to show I hope this helps

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
"example 1/8" rod should be some where about 125 amps, this is a pretty hard thing to describe in words much easier to show I hope this helps"
So what is a 4 or 8g rod used at??

Last edited:

grunk36

Occupation
trainer/technical support with TRIMBLE/SITECH denm
its all about practice practice practice i can do one pretty good i am educated to build ships in steel
the teacher at the school explained it this way to us... you will use a 3,5 mm esab 5305 you light the rod in the midle of the v joint let it burn just down the metal swing the tip to the left hold it there while you count one case of beer then swing to the left again count two case of beer and so on after some practise this procedure will give you a very nise weld

dadsdozerhd5b

vertical welding

i learned in welding class it is like cash. c stands for current, a for angle, s for speed, h for heat. they are in order of importance but none should be forgotten. in my experience, vertical welding relies heavily on angle. 30-45 degrees upward. a slight weave helps with a slight pause on each side of the weld, not in the center, it fills itself in. remember when welding up, heat rises so you will have to increase your speed slightly the further up you go. have a comfortable stance and rest when welding and remember it should be fun even if it is work. i hope this helps. tim

Knucklehead

My godfather is a "retired" welder. In reality he still does it everyday. When he was teaching me, to get his point across, he would come in behind me and actually "hold" my hand and help me through it. This method really helped me. He could show me what happens when you change your angle, speed, and how to compensate for the heat rise. Now i am not saying that I am a great welder, I'm not by any means,maybe a little above average. I also use the 2 count method,and sometimes they are prettier than others, but I can't recall a failure...... not to say there hasn't been a few, just none that I can recall.

As far as the "cheater" lenses as we call them, he uses them in his hood. When I am there, I have to search around for lenses so I can see what I am doing.

Just offering a suggestion, and thinking out loud again. good luck,Heath

skyrptz

Occupation
rod size---------amperage
3/32--------------90
1/8---------------125
5/32--------------150
3/16--------------190
1/4---------------250

PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A STARTING POINT ONLY
depending on the age of your machine it could be a little higher or lower

32 years of welding experince

Last edited:

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
So, if your holding on the edges, and zipping across the joint, then aren't you getting less penatration where it counts?

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
So, if your holding on the edges, and zipping across the joint, then aren't you getting less penatration where it counts?

No, you do a root pass fillet weld first, no weaving. Clean the slag off of the root pass, grind to remove any warts and prep the root pass for the weave pass on top of it. Does that make sense? :)

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Yeah that does make sense- can the root pass be downward or should it be up as well?

skyrptz

Occupation
you will find as you creep up the joint that the center of your weld will remain molten which will give you the penatration you want and by pausing at the outer edges it lets the center of the puddle to cool just enough that the hole thing wont roll down on you
the most important thing is to be able to distingush between the slag and your weld puddle the slag is maybe two shades darker than your weldmet you want to make sure as you work your way up the joint that you do not trap the slag at the center of the joint and dead center of your weld should be slightly higher than your outer edges which also helps the slag to roll off the joint don't worry to much about the apperance of your finished weld as that will come in time as many others have said practice makes perfect.It is strucluraly benefical to run a root pass with 6010 first chip it clean if you have any hemroids hanging off your root pass by all means take a grinder to them and give the rest of your root pass a light pass over with a grinder I prefer to use a file on the outer edges of the root pass with a half round b*****d file as the dust from the grinder can become trapped in the crevises of the weld and possibly causing your weld to fail. I hope this helps

Last edited:

dieseldave

Very good thread, lots of useful info here:thumbsup Atco, I didn't realize you used to be an ironworker. Pretty tough bunch of dudes, generally- perhaps I had better take advantage of this opportunity to apologize for making all those jokes at your expense...

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Very good thread, lots of useful info here:thumbsup Atco, I didn't realize you used to be an ironworker. Pretty tough bunch of dudes, generally- perhaps I had better take advantage of this opportunity to apologize for making all those jokes at your expense...

Apologize? For me havin' so much fun at my expense? Your crazy dave! :tong

Yep, I've walked bar joists in my early days. Hung plenty of iron. Never had a failure with any of the steel we hung. When ironworkers build something...we build it to live forever. :cool:

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....

Just as well he cant swim or I be in deep serious trouble them ,ain't it so Atco,
He can't swim I can't run (barely able to walk) Thank god for natural barriers:salute:stirthepot

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
Vertical Upwelds:

Apologize
Whoa Betsy!!!... You guys do that, then all the wrath'll fall on me... :eek:

Besides, I'd have to delete about a hundred PMs... :lmao

OCR... :D