• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

vertical tipping loads so much higher than radial?

ccooper

Help me to understand how the vertical tipping loads are so much higher than the radial lifts? I'm particularly looking at the Takeuchi TL12V2 and the R2 and the tipping loads are 11737lbs and 8629lbs respectively, but the breakout forces are higher on the radial lift. Which one will flat out lift and move more weight? It seems the R2 will lift more, but not handle it as well? I like the radial design more and can save a few grand vs the V2, but I need all the lift I can get and I don't want to short change myself. Thanks

CaseFan13

The vertical machines have a higher capacity because they keep the load closer to the machine through out the lift cycle. The vertical machines have less reach at eye level but more reach at full height. The radial machines are more made for digging and prying because the loader arms attach directly to the chassis where as the vertical has linkage.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I agree mostly with CaseFan. I would only add that bucket breakout is typically dictated by the size of the tilt cylinder and the mechanical advantage afforded by the load arm design and tilt cylinder location. If you notice that tilt cylinders that are more vertical in their position tend to have less breakout force, this positioning offers less mechanical advantage than does a tilt cylinder that is less vertical. Some of that mechanical advantage or lack their of can be overcome with larger cylinders and more psi. Also the breakout forces can be deceiving, how that number is measured is important. Most of those numbers are gained with a short radius bucket, sometimes referred to as a foundry bucket. However most machines are bought with a low profile/extended lip bucket. These buckets offer much better view to the cutting edge and greater capacity, but do to the long radius, they reduce bucket breakout. I have found it is really important to run them with the bucket you most commonly use to see what kind of breakout the machine has in your conditions. I run low profile extended lip 84" Virnig HD dirt buckets, and my personal requirement is that I can hit a pile of gravel and the machine can easily break the bucket out of the pile without backing up.

If you need the lift, you wont be disappointed in the breakout of the V2. Its a beast, but demo both the R and V and see for yourself what machine fits your operation.

ccooper

The vertical machines have a higher capacity because they keep the load closer to the machine through out the lift cycle. The vertical machines have less reach at eye level but more reach at full height. The radial machines are more made for digging and prying because the loader arms attach directly to the chassis where as the vertical has linkage.

So, would it be accurate to say a radial machine would lift pretty much just as much weight as a vertical machine up to a height where the radial arc crosses the vertical path. Maybe 3 feet high? After that is where the vertical machine outshines the radial due to the arc of the radial?