• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Versatile 500

trouble007

we have a Versatile 500 and we are having troubles starting it i have been working for this guy for 2 years and havent seen it running once. the batteries are good it seems to turn over normal the only problem is it wont start. im not that farmiliar with the Versatile tractors so i was wondering if anyone knew of a fuel shut off or a manual primer i could use to get fuel into the system.

Thanks

Ryan

bill onthehill

Is it gas or diesel? Start with the fuel supply line and work your way from there. Have the fuel filters been changed? Could have water in system.

trouble007

yes a small cummins is what it has it is a large articulating tractor so its really not needed we just got a good deal on it when we were buying a different tractor from the same person and thanks for the idea i will check all the fuel lines we have been busy with hay lately but i might be able to get around to in tomorrow or Saturday and yes i work there. im not a trained ag equipment tech i just have basic mechanical knowledge and the amazing group here for information.

Randy88

There are a lot of things to look for as far as fuel, make sure its not sucking air anywhere and the filters are good and the lines are clean, first does it smoke when you give it a puff of either? Does it smoke without either even a little? Is the fuel pump good and working to pump fuel upto the engine? Which model cummins is it? I've got about five different models in my machines and trucks but no versatile's but the engine should be about the same no matter which application its in. How old is the fuel in the tanks and by chance is it biodiesel? Give me some feedback and I'll help you with more specifics then.

Abscraperguy

Do you know specifically which engine it has? I'm under the impression that those are the V-8 Cummins but could be wrong. Them V-8's don't start very easy but they do start. I've had a few of them. Here are my suggestions. Starting at the top.

1. Is the fuel pump getting fuel? I don't know if those tractors have a lift pump or not but it could need priming.

2. If the fuel pump has fuel make sure the injectors are getting it. They may need to be primed.

3. Like was mentioned above check to see if there is any smoke coming out of the stack with or without a sniff of ether. Don't use too much. Those V'8's don't appreciate ether.

Let us know how it works.