• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

dirty4fun

Wow some very nice berries, Steve. Hey that truck would look great no matter how dirty she is. Did you repaint the front of the truck, the little sign is gone. Or does everyone know that as a matter of fact that you do own the road, now? Save a few of those for the summer I love to see those big logs, too. Looks like the working conditions are pretty darn good for this time of the year. Thanks for sharing the pictures, with us!

DonBC

Occupation
Retired mechanical engineer.
BTC, I really don't know if Doug lived in Northwest Bay or not. I know him well and he has become a somewhat famous as a painter. His father was involved in logging and he grew up in logging camps at the time that most logs were moved by trains. The locomotives from that time are the subject of many of his paintings as well as many of the boats that plied the waters of the west coast of the island. If you Google "The Last Whistle" which is the newsletter for the Hillcrest Lumber Co.'s employees reunion newsletter you can click on his name and get lots of details.

dirty4fun

Blk Prince, I am still in Florida, where they complain if it gets to be 50 degrees at night. Been doing some riding to stay in shape for my return to Vancouver Island this summer. Hope to spend more time there as I really enjoyed my time there, the scenery, and mostly the people I met who have become friends. Never met such a bunch of great people, willing to make my time there special.

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
From the same time:

[video=youtube;8K8CU1DDzqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8CU1DDzqc[/video]

KP

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
And if you really enjoy listening to an unmuffled Cummins:

[video=youtube;y8dkQox--Ns]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8dkQox--Ns[/video]

All from Alberni truck show in 2010.

KP

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
More of same:

[video=youtube;Ks567p71mxk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks567p71mxk[/video]

KP

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
A P-16 captured in the wild up Nanaimo Lakes at the junction between main road and Green River valley. (image can be found on google earth at that location) Pulling a low bed, apparently brought a grapple yarder over from the Alberni area. This was 2009.
The Cat with the train is courtesy Jack Judson in Ladysmith. He was driving, probably in the '70s. Also up Nanaimo Lakes.

P 16 Nan River 2.jpg

Cat Logging Truck.jpg

I have some shots of the Pacific from the rear that I will dig up.

KP

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
I guess tugs are fair game for this thread? Certainly an essential part of the machinery spectrum in the industry.

Hecate Straits in Nanaimo Hbr. Not the worlds prettiest tug, but solid and kind of brutal looking. It had just fueled up and idled dockside for a good 15 minutes while one of the crew ran up into town. I just sat on the dock and listened. It sounds like an old diesel lokie, especially when it spools up and gives of a nice turbo whistle.

Hecate Straits HDR 2.jpg

Hecate Straits Backing Turn Crop.jpg

Hecate Straits Backing Crop.jpg

Victory and friends. Smaller, but a bit better looking line-wise.

Tug & Boat BW.jpg

Tugs Fueling.jpg

Len Burton

Occupation
Retired
I can relate to these pics of Dodd Narrows. I've been stuck many times on my boat waiting for these little "Hot Rods" to go through Dodd Narrows at slack. The old Hecate Straits looks just as ugly as she did when I was Chief Engineer on her. In her day she was one of the fastest towboats on the coast. You were right about the power, a Detroit Diesel V8 EMD (Electro Motive Diesel) engine. When I was on her we towed scows to Rupert,Ocean Falls and the Charlottes. Good pics of all of the towboats tied up at the Petrocan Fuel dock in Nanaimo inner basin. I'll see if I can dodd narrows.jpgfind a pic of the Hecate Straits in better shape when I was on her.