• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Picture #1 T-101 at the Mesachie Lake shop with a load of Heli-wood . Picture's #2 & 3 T-101 pulled over on 19 Creek with a load of Heli wood from Tom's Cr. .scan 1350.jpgscan 1351.jpgscan 1352.jpg

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Sigurd: 60 Series Detroit Diesel seem to be very popular along some scattered Cummins N14's and ISX's. I think if you went far enough back most trucks were using Detroit Diesel 12V-71's, then when people wanted more power (probably started pulling adverse grades) the turbocharged 12V-71T and Cummins K19's became popular. There are still a lot of the K model Cummins and Detroits kicking around but most repowered trucks I see around Campbell River are 60 Series powered. Hope this helps.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Sigurd She has a Cat C15 550 HP engine in her. She came new in 75 with a 12V71N 431 HP GM and in Sept 1980 while turning around at Spencer Log Dump the key dropped out of the camshaft on the right bank and dropped into the timing gears!!! That put an end to that right there. The Shop decided that she would be a good candidate for the 3408 install. Mike Murphy had already been doing this down at his new Sarita Division Shop with huge success. He was using the 3408 Pre-lcup model 450 HP whereas Franklin went with the Direct Injection model. I liked the pre heater on the precup engines but the direct injection was without a doubt a nice starting engine without it. So for 22 years she was powered by that and when Hayes Forest Services took us over in 2003 she was rebuilt to their standards and had the new C15 installed. The nice thing about them was they have an excellent jake brake whereas the 3408 never had an exhaust brake or anything like that so it was nice that way! The C15 has been a very good engine from a drivers point of view Good power good fuel mileage . The only real complaint if there was one would be the exhaust manifold. For some reason Cat has problems with their exhaust systems. With the C15 it is the wraps on the manifold and the old 3408's was the exhaust elbows on each side. With the 3408 I never got the exhaust temp over 900 degree's where the C15 is running at 1200 degree's all day long. It will turn a new chrome exhaust pipe blue in a matter of days. However that is a small matter -- one you watch for. We have a few 60 series Detroits and some N14 Cummins. The C15 is by far the most popular for our work environment.

HDX: That comment about Cat having exhaust problems is quite interesting. Just had a chit chat with a Finning mechanic here in the oilsands and he said the common problems with the 797 haul trucks are the electrical system, fuel injectors and the exhaust system. Gotta love a company that is consistent.

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber , Gordy's "Quick" hook up Log Rigging . And Freshly painted Aspen Lowbed Booster . Can you sescan 1356.jpgscan 1357.jpgscan 1358.jpge front of HDX in picture .

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber T-101 at Timberwest's Shoal Island DLS with a load of Heli-wood from Toms Cr. . Jeff MacLeod in picture is along for a ride .scan 1359.jpgscan 1360.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Gordy I. Munns Lumber Lee House with Self loader KWT-102 pulling lowbed T-101, with EX 450 Hatachi on board scan 1362.jpgup Rithet Cr , on West /Sooke Lake M/L (8km) hill .

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
Hi, new member here.

This photo of a donkey heading up the hill on two trucks was taken at Pocahontas Bay, Texada Island.
I know, it's not the Big Island, but close enough.
Not sure of the exact date, but we moved from Texada to Harrison in the fall of 1953, so sometime before then.

Donkey on Trucks.jpg

The driver in the reversed truck is Ron Phelps, with (I think) Frank Furness standing beside the truck.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Always a pleasure to see a new member. Is there a reason for the sled being so unusually long?

camptramp

Occupation
Great picture KPhelps , so much history and so few camera's , check out the thread "Back in the day " for more pictures of that era . Do you know what outfit owned it ?

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
Great picture KPhelps , so much history and so few camera's , check out the thread "Back in the day " for more pictures of that era . Do you know what outfit owned it ?

Absolutely. It was Pretty's Texada, owned by Charlie Pretty from Harrison Mills (brother of Harry & Fenn). They started on Texada in 1944 (photo below of my dad on the beach at Shelter Point, Texada in 1944, building the camp and booming ground which were right where the park is now). They logged out of there for a few years and then moved across the island to Pocahontas. When they left Texada in 1953 and moved back to Harrison the company became Premier Logging. They logged on Agassiz Mountain out of a camp about 3 miles down the river from Harrison Lake, and later opened camps at Bear Creek and 20 Mile on Harrison Lake as Pretty's Timber. In 1960 the purchased a division at Hope from the Corbett brothers, along with about 20 miles of the Kettle Valley railway grade (starting at Othello) that they turned into their main haul road. My dad (Ron Phelps) was logging manager of Premier and Pretty's Timber until he quit in 1964. As the smaller companies in B.C. were destroyed over the next decade or two, they became a glorified contractor and eventually disappeared as the family died off. That's a fairly condensed version.

My dad subsequently bought a camp at 30 mile on Harrison Lake from Ward Snider and Curly Chittenden, sold that and bought a P9 or P10 to work on the clearing out for the Revelstoke Dam. After that, gypo logged and in his semi-retirement (read: putting me through university) worked at Pacific Truck for a couple of years in the mid seventies.

Roots.

KP

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
Oops, lost the photos:

Ron Phelps on beach at Shelter Point, Texada, 1944.

Ron Cat 1944.jpg

Camp at Pocahontas moved onto boom to be towed up Fraser and Harrison rivers.

Camp on Floats.jpg

Attachments

• Ron Cat 1944.jpg
    Ron Cat 1944.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 514

KPhelps

Occupation
Dentist
Always a pleasure to see a new member. Is there a reason for the sled being so unusually long?

I don't know. As I remember, all our donkeys looked that way. They started switching to steel spars when I was about 7 or 8 though, so memory may not be reliable.