• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

Betelgeuse

Sorry no starbucks here. thats a shell station mug. We dont got no chain stores on the island except gas stations.
Sorry about off topic(vancouver Is) pictures. But San Juan Is. is a stones throw away from van. Is.:tong

Betelgeuse

This is the view I get to be amazed by at work every day. In second picture the reference point is sidney, bc behind the little islands. I got a great panoramic view of the south end of the island.
IMG_0987.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0739.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0825.jpg

Betelgeuse

It gets pretty windy in the winter and especially windy when its out of the NE coming down out of the Fraiser river valley and that is when we usually get are snow. Always a great view though.

Betelgeuse

So whats the story behind these big log barges? Their colors are red and white. There are two identical ones that I have seen go by. Is it seaspan? How many are still out there? Where are they dumping when they go north (naniamo, Vancouver)? Majority of the time they are going north with a load but I have seen them go south a few times with a significantly smaller load, are they going to victoria?
IMG_1046.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_1028.jpg Beautiful Victoria

dirty4fun

Well it has gotten to the point I have to see the island and the logging that is going on out there. I am planning on being there and hope to meet a few of you at Duncan Truck Show. I have about 2500 miles of motorcycle riding to do before I am there. I have been talking with Steve (HDX) about this for a while he is going to show me some of the area from the inside of his truck, while hauling logs. I am looking forward to meeting him and seeing the area. Hopefully catching a ride or with a few other people while there and learning more about the island. See ya there!

RCP57

Occupation
commercial fisherman/part time elf
Well it has gotten to the point I have to see the island and the logging that is going on out there. I am planning on being there and hope to meet a few of you at Duncan Truck Show. I have about 2500 miles of motorcycle riding to do before I am there. I have been talking with Steve (HDX) about this for a while he is going to show me some of the area from the inside of his truck, while hauling logs. I am looking forward to meeting him and seeing the area. Hopefully catching a ride or with a few other people while there and learning more about the island. See ya there!

Cool! Have a safe ride! See you at the show.

Reg

dirty4fun

Starting off tomorrow morning, looks like I might get 150 to 200 miles before I hit rain. We have had two days without rain now in a row. Guess it has been conditioning for the Pacific N W. Lot of storms with lots and lots of wind and rain. Last week we had 9" of rain so lots of flooding. Hope to meet up with you dd one place or another.