• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

dunwurken

I did not know he had that many Skagits. I do know Dwayne Larson was the first operator when the Shawnigan one went to Carley. There are a few things on the MB pictures that just don't seem right for the one I recall. Doesn't matter, my fault for not carrying a camera. Spent 36 years in the woods and not one picture!

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Carley Logging had four Skagit SS-R grapple yarder's , I don't know if Chum was using them all , John did mention the fourth yarder was a parts machine . Also I have posted pictures of a new Cypruss 7280 grapple yarder being moved through Gordon R. M/L to Camper Cr. in 1984 or 1985 on this thread.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
BCFP Renfrew Div. #799 Skagit SS-R grapple yarder Steve Youg ran this GY new ,Tahsis Gold R. had the first one built I beleive this is # two , this one and the mate to it from CaycuseView attachment 114181View attachment 114182 were sold to Carley Logging , in all Carley Logging had four Skagit SS-R GY's

2nd Picture down: Would the log loader be a Madill conversion of a Northwest Shovel? Just curious about the identity of the machine.

camptramp

Occupation
The Northwest loader is one Madill put together . BCFP bought one I believe it was a Model 6 or Timbermaster 6 ,sometime in the mid 1970's . The first one that was possibly the first Northwest for Madill had some issues ( I wasn't in the Div. at that time), it end up being returned to Madill. The one in the picture is the replacement . Its a Northwest loader on top on a Madill rubber tire carrier , for all intense purposes its a great machine ,except when it was built they had trouble setting up the manual brakes . The operator when it was new had run a Washington TL 15 with air brakes ,and had air brakes put on that machine .Some guy's that ran it were better than others , but it was known amongst the drivers as the " Pile Driver " The Northwest that was returned to Madill found its way to Pacific Logging at Sooke. Fiddick Logging at Port Renfrew bought a new Northwest 80D on tracks from Madill , it came with the air brakes , their operator Fred Parkins had a machanic from Madill wth the parts to install manual brakes on its way before the first day was completed , and he set them up.

camptramp

Occupation
JW- Carley Logging Camper Cr. Div. New American hydraulic log loader on barge being towed from San Jaun Bay into the North arm of the San Jaun River , to be unloaded at BCFP's Renfrew Div.scan467.jpgscan468.jpgscan469.jpgscan470.jpg DLS.

skadill

Carley Logging Equipment

From RBauction flyers,and rb hard cover book.

Attachments

• PIC_0226.jpg
    PIC_0226.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 1,072
  • PIC_0227.jpg
    PIC_0227.jpg
    299.2 KB · Views: 1,077
  • PIC_0228.jpg
    PIC_0228.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 1,055

skadill

cont.

continued

Attachments

• PIC_0229.jpg
    PIC_0229.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 1,073
  • PIC_0232.jpg
    PIC_0232.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 1,066
  • IMG_1502.jpg
    IMG_1502.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,061

camptramp

Occupation
It probably wouldn't fit through there today ,but it had been dredged every now and then in thoughs day's. Booms of logs were taken through there up until around 1982.

HDX

camptramp Was that barge coming from up the Coast?? Seeing that HDX on there and the fire tanker make me wonder! Does 6-246 look familiar? Sure looks like her and the Madill pipe as well. Would make sense to have the barge stop in Vancouver on the way to Renfrew and pick up the loader if they were all going the same way. Just a thought Been looking at that picture ever since you posted it Thanks

camptramp

Occupation
I've been looking at it to HDX I wasn't at Renfrew when that bardge landed . But that load of equipment could be around 1978 , I'm not sure what year Malibu shut down , but the truck could be from Malibu , there is also a Madill 009 on a rubber tire carrier it could be the #27-13 that I ran at Malibu it went to Caycuse. There is also a line loader on the bardge could it be the #16-23 the Northwest that was built by Madill?

TimeLapse

Boom Tugboat Ladysmith Harbor Vancouver Island Canada
[video=youtube;4-m5JpkoLrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-m5JpkoLrI[/video]

dirty4fun

Amazing how much equipment they can haul on a barge at one time. More great pictures to enjoy many times over.