• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Vancouver Island, BC. Logging at its Best!

camptramp

For all of us below the 49th Parallel how about a "time line" to show the rest of us who started where and who succeed them? I keep seeing trucks, shovels and yarders along with timberlands changing hands. I am not too interested in the RB action, but things like; Bloedel Steward Welch was followed by MacMillen Bloedel and they became who? And they became who?? Along with all the other timber companies....

Anybody up for it?
I'll try to give you a brief run down of the San Jaun Valley at Port Renfrew B.C. logging started on the North side of the valley in 1923 with Cathels and Sorenson in 1933 Heemmingsen and Cameron took it over ,their logging camps were at Granite Cr. then Harris Cr.. On the south side of the San Jaun valley its my under standing the San Jaun Bay Lumber Co. was first to start logging in that area ,the Malahat Logging Co. began operations in the mid thrities and pushed the rail road up the valley and built their logging camp at Bear Cr.These outfits were rail road operations. In 1946 Britsh Columbia Forest Products was formed and purchased both the Hemmingsen Cameron and the Malahat holdings .Creating Renfrew Division. In the mid 1950's BCFP switched from rail road logging to truck logging .In the late 1950's to the early !960's BCFP shut down Bear Cr. then Harris Cr. camps and Built a new camp and Dryland Sort at the mouth of the Gordon R. and North Fork of the San Jaun R. In the 1970's Renfrew Div. started hauling logs over the passes between the San Jaun valley and Cowichan Lake to supplement the log supply for Youbou saw mill . The end of 1982 found us pulling out of Renfrew's DLS and hauling our logs to Honeymoon Bay DLS where they were sorted any logs not needed at Youbou were loaded on to highway trucks and hauled to Shoal Island DLS by Crofton to be boomed in salt water and sent to other mills. In and around 1988 or 89 BCFP was taken over by Fletcher Challenge after they picked through the assets of BCFP ,Renfrew Div. was combined with Caycuse Div.in the winter of 1991-92 creating Honeymoon Bay Operations (HBO) in 1992-93 Fletcher Challenge seperated the logging holdings from their pulp mills and called it Timberwest in 2004 Timberwest seperated their private lands from the crown lands in TFL 46 and sold the TFL to Teal Jones . Thats a basic over all view of what happened it was a Roller Coaster ride for crew the with every change more downs than ups.

camptramp

They started out as J S Jones I think, there are two brothers Tom can't remember the other ones name ,they were originally a Cedar outfit from the Fraser Valley that expanded into logging .They have aquired a couple of TFL's and are active at bidding on small business timber sales. The name Teal Jones came into play about the same time they bought TFL 46. Got stung by a shake and shingle outfit when I was a kid , I'm of the same opinion as a retiree.

caycusion

Laid off HBO fallers..having a snooze during lunch on the longline..The late Owen Fransen on the left.another good one gone222821_1038644444537_7172_n.jpg

What a tremendous archive of photos and history! I've spent a couple hours looking around. Recognize some of the truck and equipment pictures. Even saw a couple people I know.

A friend led me here and I've been enthralled ever since.

Vigilant

Okay, dumb question if you don't mind. Seeing the back spars, I assume they were logging skyline with a carriage?