• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Valve Cover Gasket

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Got it out. No way a new valve cover gasket was installed last May before I bought it. Maybe the upper, but this bolt has not been removed before.
Congratulations on getting it out iin one piece.
What they referred to as the "valve cover gasket" may have been only to top one. Correctly speaking the top one is the cover, the bottom one that you have just removed is the valve mechanism base.

It might be an idea to run a plug tap down all those threaded holes before you reinstall the bolts to make sure there are no hickeys in the threads anywhere, although TBH it looks from the photo as though it could have been corrosion on the shank holding it rather than the threads.

Refer back to post #2 for the suggested hardware tightening procedure.

Jeffrey Bandel

Technically you are correct. However he told me it had an oil leak at the valve cover and had to replace the gasket. Maybe both were leaking, but within two days of owning it, I noticed the big leak at the bottom. Remember, this is the same guy who told me the machine had 1,800 hours on it when it really had over 4,000.

Jeffrey Bandel

I got the assembly out but not without issue. It was a struggle getting it out. During the process I broke the electrical connection at the rear. I guess I run to CAT tomorrow to get a new one.

Attachments

• Valve electrical.jpg
    Valve electrical.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 27

Jeffrey Bandel

For the next person that is insane enough to do this project: I disconnected the radiator hose where it connects with the thermostat. Have a bucket handy--I think about two gallons came out. It makes it easier. I wish I would have done it in the beginning.

Jeffrey Bandel

Ewwww. Not sure if you can buy that seperately. Might end up having to replace the injector unfortunately.
You are right. Went to CAT today. Talked with a mechanic. He said he's seen it plenty of times. He actually did it once as well. Just another big chunk of change. After I replace the injector they have to come out and program it to the ECM.
He also said they have to replace the high pressure fuel lines when they do the valve job--some sort of liability thing. So I got new fuel lines as well...

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Yes unfortunately with the new high pressure common rail fuel systems the lines are one time use. The flare on the lines actually deforms to mate the fitting perfectly. Once you remove the line it won't crush again and there's a chance it could have a leak. A leak at several thousand PSI can penetrate the skin and cause a huge amount of tissues damage including the need to amputate!!!!!

Yes you will need them to change the trim code in the ECM for the new injector. Write the new trim code down before you install it or you'll have to open it back up again to find it!

Tags

Nothing like a simple little valve cover replacement…uuuuggghhhh....Stick with it, seems like you’re almost there…

Jeffrey Bandel

Nothing like a simple little valve cover replacement…uuuuggghhhh....Stick with it, seems like you’re almost there…
Don't I wish. I was wiping it down on the bench and this happened. I think CAT wants like $1,600 for a new lower valve cover. I am breaking the TIG welder out.

Attachments

• Broke Valve Cover.jpg
    Broke Valve Cover.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 31

Tags

Where the hell did that come from?? You must have some strong "wiping hands" if you wiped that piece right off the valve cover! :D

Jeffrey Bandel

Thanks for the good advice. I went with the spool gun instead. No warping and it makes me feel better. The old piece was not welded back in. It is all new metal. The injector should be here tomorrow so I made try putting it back together.

Attachments

• Valve cover repaired..jpg
    Valve cover repaired..jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 15