• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Utility locators, Ridgid, Vivax etc.

JPSouth

I had 3 bad locates this year, 2 from the PoCo, 1 from a private service. Gas line traced/flagged, when actually the nearest one was over 50' away, another gas line, no trace, I got lucky and spent a little more shovel time on a hunch, there it was. A fiber optic where there was none whatsoever marked. Anywhere. Saw it between the hoe teeth on a slow pull squaring the last of a trench. Nearly soiled me pantaloons. On another job, I talked with the locate service who painted the lot, and wanted to know the approximate depth of the fiber optic feeder lines going into several of the apartment buildings. I was told 18" minimum, and informed the sprinkler guys of that; they were working in front of me. They hit one at 2", and another on the other side about the same. $3200 repair, they did not pothole. When the fiber repair guys showed up the next day, I asked WTH, wasn't me, but 2"?!? They just shrugged. They were only there an hour with a small toolbox, I'm guessing those days are very profitable ones for the telecom repair company.

At any rate, I'm thinking after the first of the year I may invest in a utility locator and probably a magnetic locator as I'm doing more septic work all the time, and also needing to find property pins now and then for lot work. I always 811, but want to double check and verify what they find, and being able to depth check really saves time. I do quite a bit of rural work, stock waterers, hydrants, irrigation line etc., a locator would help narrow where I have to find tie-ins to water lines, and also search for private electrical lines and other long-forgotten stuff. I really don't need the best of the best, but would like something with a reasonably tough build, decent accuracy (with an experienced user, practice, etc.), and preferably with a good kit box to protect from weather and transport.

I have researched some, and wondered if there is much difference between the mid-range locator tools other than higher-end options and perhaps a bit better build on the more expensive. The Ridgid SR-20 setup looks like a pretty nice outfit, but is priced a bit high for my business budget just now. The ViVax-Metrotech VLocPro2 kit is about $1000 cheaper, but is not carried by near as many suppliers, which may be a hint. It does come with a 10 watt transmitter, which is considerable extra on most of the other brands, and would be a plus as I'm often pushing distance. Anybody with some time on these tools (or other comparable) have any advice? Thanks -

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
The only experience I have with the ridgid is a private company we've hired a few times..... I was not impressed(they were using a sewer cam with sonde)

I personally use an old telco dynatel 2273 set with the regular tx box and some inductive coils... I find gas easy and can pinpoint depth to 1"... most of the time... sometimes the services tee and don't have tracer wires bonded! which can lead to a false sense of security... so it goes with saying that one needs to use some common sense when trying to locate things... and a little potholing can prevent a lot of headaches later on. :)

Have also hooked the tx to my sewer cam without a sonde and traces it just fine while the other guys were futzing around 30 feet sideways from my locate and trying to tell me theirs was the 'right' locate....