• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Using stingers?

20/80

Occupation
operator
Just wondering is there anyone out there using stingers ? If so what are your thoughts on them?

Cat 140M AWD

Occupation
Motor grader operator
I'm using stingers but not on my molboard I got a scarifier dozer blade with them on it and love them works great for cutting wash boards out of hard dry gravel.

20/80

Occupation
operator
I always had straight blades but a few years back at work they wanted me to try the stinger blades, as any operater i hate anything different but they wanted me to try them for a week, so, i have never looked back, i use them for every thing i do, ditching, grading, shouldering, road building, snow removal, when used properly they do a nice job in every condition plus your not changing blades everyday or couple of days. and i find they do stay straight which is nice when spreading.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Are stingers another term for carbide blades?

no they are seperate round teeth that are carbide tipped, they rotate in the socket or holder on the blade, when the blade is under presure, I grade in alot of rocky conditions, ledge, shale, bluerock,granite, are all in the road bed and are pushing up to the top of the road, anyone that grades in nova scotia canada can contest to that, the stingers will cut though the top of the rock or break a piece off, the blades are quite strong, if you break a tooth off they change indivdually a very quick fix in the field, the ones i have are the john deere type, i have them on a 140h 14 ft mouldboard.

Dad5

20/80, DexterMunicipal uses them in Labrador in the winter for maintaining mining haul roads. They roughened surface gives better traction.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
Thanks 20/80. I have been calling them "Sandviks" lol. They are very handy, I have been using them both in the winter and will use them just as you said during the summer. In the winter, I have quite a few steep hills and the do a real nice job of busting through hard pack and mixing some grit in for traction. They also work just as well for normal snow removal. In the summer I have used them for breaking up dust control, and also removing emerging rock and I have found that they are really nice for breaking through the hard and dry stuff. But for the most part during the grading season we will usually stick with the carbides unless the need arises to put on the stingers.

20/80

Occupation
operator
Thanks 20/80. I have been calling them "Sandviks" lol. They are very handy, I have been using them both in the winter and will use them just as you said during the summer. In the winter, I have quite a few steep hills and the do a real nice job of busting through hard pack and mixing some grit in for traction. They also work just as well for normal snow removal. In the summer I have used them for breaking up dust control, and also removing emerging rock and I have found that they are really nice for breaking through the hard and dry stuff. But for the most part during the grading season we will usually stick with the carbides unless the need arises to put on the stingers.

yes they are very handy for that kind of work, what are you referring to when you say carbides? thanks

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
They are a straight blade with a cemented carbide tip, and are four foot sections. They are really nice, since you can get months of wear out of them as opposed to a normal straight blade

20/80

Occupation
operator
They are a straight blade with a cemented carbide tip, and are four foot sections. They are really nice, since you can get months of wear out of them as opposed to a normal straight blade

are they completly flat not curved like cat straight blades with a carbide insert in them with the carbide slightly angled?

20/80

Occupation
operator
I use them a lot for gravel road maintenance and like them.

they work really nice in gravel, they stay nice and straight good for holding the gravel as you spread, i find when useing straight blades they will wear in the middle and the ends even when you shift the pin to make them wear more evenly across the mouldboard, i use the round john deere type, but i think cat has a more squared stinger i can remember seeing them somewhere.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
That's correct, flat with an angled tip. They feel a bit like you have a 2x4 for a cutting edge at first, but you get used to them and they will take some major abuse. Rocks can break of the carbide though

20/80

Occupation
operator
That's correct, flat with an angled tip. They feel a bit like you have a 2x4 for a cutting edge at first, but you get used to them and they will take some major abuse. Rocks can break of the carbide though

we use something simular to them on our plows, hardened flat steel blade with 2 carbide inserts slightly angle, they wear for a long time before they wear out, that reminds me, i had a buddy that went out west to work, landed a job on a grader and he told me when he came back that the blades that we were using on our plows is what was on the grader he was running and worked really well stayed straight and lasted along time. "hmm" maybe on to something.

Rowdy16

Occupation
operator
Also, they work real nice for kicking the oversize off the shoulder.

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
For sure similar 20/80, the plow blades on the trucks seem to have less of an angle. There is also a hint of a curvature whith the grader blades compared with the plow blades. I didn't like them at first, I was used to dirt work and really liked the versatility of the normal straight blades. But after hooking a set of new steel edges in only a day, the carbides made a believer out of me with road maintenance. They will take a lickin' and go for months! I am running a Deere 872 GP right now with a 16 ft molboard though, and when it is hard and dry I it is too much for the machine. I am used to the Cat 14's, both H's and M's, and the mass for sure makes that a lot easier. The 6WD is not required either! lol

20/80

Occupation
operator
Also, they work real nice for kicking the oversize off the shoulder.

they do , also good for removing heaving rock in the road bed, pulled one out the other day about the size of a oversized washing machine. allways banged up the plows in the winter season, not anymore. thanks

20/80

Occupation
operator
For sure similar 20/80, the plow blades on the trucks seem to have less of an angle. There is also a hint of a curvature whith the grader blades compared with the plow blades. I didn't like them at first, I was used to dirt work and really liked the versatility of the normal straight blades. But after hooking a set of new steel edges in only a day, the carbides made a believer out of me with road maintenance. They will take a lickin' and go for months! I am running a Deere 872 GP right now with a 16 ft molboard though, and when it is hard and dry I it is too much for the machine. I am used to the Cat 14's, both H's and M's, and the mass for sure makes that a lot easier. The 6WD is not required either! lol
its amazing how long they last considering the abuse, i would love to have 6wd would be great for ditching, snowremoval, can get you into trouble to lol, we have a 140m too, have abit of seat time in it, don't like running any distance with it with the touchy steering, nice to operate when you get there, we had alot of trouble with the 140m, 600hr, needed a full set of injectors, the factory ones were aftermarket, we are on the forth set now 4500hr, 800hr crank failure,900hr hyd pump, constent steering failures even with the new software update, and the list goes on, it was funny the other day the cat mech was out and he was looking at the two graders side by side[140h -140m] he said the h stands for headache the m stands for migrain, lol

buckshot_86

Occupation
Grader Operator
I know it is mixed bag with the M's. I usually run a 14M and it is a 2008 model. It has of course has had a few bugs, steering included but all around it has been a great machine. There has not been an issue drivetrain realted yet. I am even just as comfortable, if not more, roading it through congested towns and highways as a grader with a steering wheel! But it does have weird steering glitches every now and then. The last update it had confused the grader in thinking it had a shutdown timer, but it didn't. Got a little old when it would just shut off for no reason every five minutes! lol