• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

uses?

PeytonM

I've been looking at the idea of getting a mini excavator but I wanted to know what everyone all uses their exc for? I was really looking at a KX121-3 kubota

I want to know the off things people use them for, not digging holes, I know there are endless attachments to use on them. before I got in to one I want to know every single think I could use this for to make it worth every penny to own because I'm not getting one to have as a toy I'm getting one to make money.

thanks

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think the vast majority here own one to make money. If you get one with enough aux. flow and capacity, you can mount a mower/mulcher on it which is a great way to make money with one. You certainly want a coupler and thumb on whatever you get to maximize the earning capacity of the machine. You also can mount post hole augers, hoe pacs, and concrete breakers. I like what they bring to the table which is why I have had one nearly since I started the business in 95. They work great for working in tight areas, allow 360 degree placement of material, easier to transport than a back hoe.

lantraxco

One thing they're handy for is cleaning out the old lady's closets after the divorce papers come.... As a general rule I fire up an old CAT D2 with cable blade to do the spring cleaning in the living room, kitchen, and leather/bondage/trapeze room, but a mini with a blade will do a fine job as well. CTL with a mulcher on the front for the teenage boy's room, once a month whether it needs it or not. Cheers.

:laugh

maddog

Used mine for logging, holding fire wood log for easier cutting, mowing around the banks of pond, water newly planted trees, engine hoist or anything else that needed lifting, recovery of stuck tractor and of course digging.

melli

I've been looking at the idea of getting a mini excavator but I wanted to know what everyone all uses their exc for? I was really looking at a KX121-3 kubota

I want to know the off things people use them for, not digging holes, I know there are endless attachments to use on them. before I got in to one I want to know every single think I could use this for to make it worth every penny to own because I'm not getting one to have as a toy I'm getting one to make money.

thanks

You should probably not get one if you have no work lined up or you can afford to use it as a toy while you find work to do....I suspect most folks have gotten into the biz by either working for someone who has one, or bought one for personal use and found there was a need in the neighborhood.

Like the log cutting feature of an excavator that maddog mentioned...really helps out the back and speeds up the winter log harvest. I can whack a cord in under an hour without much trouble. I use mine not only to land clear, but raise walls, stack boulders, clear and move brush, regrade driveway, and currently, it is helping me make a septic field.

PeytonM

I work in a mine currently, I'm trying to plan ahead because I think I'll be moving soon to the part of the state that doesn't really offer much for employment. A lot of little guys doing their own thing.

I want to know going in to this what all else I could do with this rig. I have draft horses and I use them to make all their hay, I do weddings I log clear brush till my mom's garden all with horses. I got them for fun at first and now I use them for everything and anything I can. Same thing with a skid steer, you can use it digging in the dirt, plowing snow, around a farm the uses for them are endless just wanted to get idea's of out of the box things you use them for that I might have not thought of.