• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used up

twr

IMG_1654.JPG I have looked at 3 boring jobs in two weeks they all look about like this.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I know that Cat still supply nose ends for both booms and sticks (but not necessarily for all models), the last one I was involved in was a couple of years ago. So long as you have some good welders it's a relatively easy job.

twr

I know that Cat still supply nose ends for both booms and sticks (but not necessarily for all models), the last one I was involved in was a couple of years ago. So long as you have some good welders it's a relatively easy job.

Yea they do we've done a few like this the one in the pic is gouged off and the new part is almost welded out. The weld on ends are about $2k

mitch504

All the wear's on one side, just cut it off, turn it over and pack JB Weld behind the bushing. :beatsme

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
you gotta watch those grease mites the will sneak in and infest your whole fleet and eat all you grease up if you set traps for them:eek:

lantraxco

On further viewing, that nose looks like a tombstone shaped forging or casting, rather than the usual machined tube. I missed it on first glance. Fun!

bigshow

How does someone run a machine to that sort of a breaking point? It blows my mind to see such disregard to a machines maintenance.

twr

IMG_1659.JPG Here it is welded on,Its not a bad job I had almost rather do this as I had build one back up, we done it in about 3.5 hrs. now just bore it out. Except when it tour loose it twisted the link will have to pull that back, you gota love it or you will hate it.

twr

Both ends are a forging has tube in middle with a void, no way to be sure it greases I will put a grease zerk in the center and hope they use it it is in wet sand.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
We normally cut that centre tube out and leave it out when we bore them. All that grease has to come out before the bores are welded.
That's a nice looking job. Want me to come and bore it?:D

twr

IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgHere is the next one kind of like the first, the bucket is worse gona take the ears off and burn new. The third one they found a near new stick they wanted to put in new pins and bushings so they dropped it at shop, you could tap them in with a small hammer and the o-ring step is all but gone so here we go.

RayF

Occupation
lineborer/welder
To hard to see for sure but the boss on the bucket looks one piece and goes right through the ear? You might be able to just cut it out and machine up a new boss,weld it in and line bore it to final size.
A bloke who used to work for me used to get angry when he come across butchered machines like that. I told him if we didn't have people like that we would all be looking for a job :)

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Company I used to work for would have a local machine shop turn out a new end for a long reach about once a year. Operators would wear out the bushings and into the eye yearly, we got pretty good at welding new ones onto the dipper.

twr

To hard to see for sure but the boss on the bucket looks one piece and goes right through the ear? You might be able to just cut it out and machine up a new boss,weld it in and line bore it to final size.
A bloke who used to work for me used to get angry when he come across butchered machines like that. I told him if we didn't have people like that we would all be looking for a job :)

Yes we have done that a lot but it went thru the boss about 1 in. sorry for pics.