• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used or economy model chipper knife grinder

walkerv

Boss man bought a morbark drum chipper has 6 11 inch main knifes in it so looking into pricing something that can do 66 inches at once or 33 inches double stacked. I have been browsing the net and used prices are even big dollar in most cases. I think getting our own grinder would pay for itself fairly quickly vs having someone else do it for us we have the jig for pouring babbit just need a ladle that part alone wont save much money. Looking for ideas of where and what to look at. One last note i only have single phase 240v power availble so if anything is 3 phase im going to need a good rotary convertor also

Last edited:

Delmer

You can run any three phase motor that doesn't need full power with a static converter (basically a hard start kit off an AC with a few extra capacitors). 2-10HP no problem, they won't start with the same torque but that's not a problem with a grinder.

That might open up your options some.

walkerv

You can run any three phase motor that doesn't need full power with a static converter (basically a hard start kit off an AC with a few extra capacitors). 2-10HP no problem, they won't start with the same torque but that's not a problem with a grinder.

That might open up your options some.
Im looking pretty heavy at a piper knife grinder its a value line bare bones but simple and wont be used for anyone else. I just need to get some prices on sharpening 66 inches of knives from a couple local shops to see how that could justify an 8k machine he does build them in single phase with 1 or 2 hp motors

walkerv

For a lot less you could get a used surface grinder. Make a jig to hold the blades and go to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-x-20-Ell...=item1a6406ca98:g:cKcAAOSwtudahgVA:rk:15:pf:0
I gotta admit that is a good price on that the downfall is the knife grinders have automatic feed so you just have to look at them every now and again to see if they cleaned up yet , most surface grinders that i have seen you have to advance the wheel down manually then let it traverse across again . I can be be working on a dump truck or something in the shop while it is chooching with minimal supervision, time is money gonna be hard enough to get owner to buy one without real good numbers presented to him ,, heck i was thinking about just buying one myself putting in a 220 outlet in the garage and do some after hour side work once i find out what the going rate per inch is

Last edited: