• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Used a "big" excavator today

CT18fireman

Occupation
Owner
Well this weekend I got to use what is now the biggest machine I have run. Most of my experience is on TLBs, Skide Steers and Mini Xs. Today I was helping a contractor friend, clear, sort and grade a lot. He was jumping between his bulldozer (some old Deere unit) for grading and his Cat 416 Backhoe which he was using to pull clean topsoil and fill out of his screen. I was in a Cat 318 with a thumb which I know still may be considered small but is the biggest I have run so far. I was pulling stumps and brush as well as feeding the screen occassionally.

It took me a minute to get used to it but I was impressed, the larger excavators seem much more stable then I am used to. The power was impressive. To be able to stump in one swipe and move around the site with ease.

Needless to say I made some side cash this weekend and had a lot of fun doing it.