• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

USDOT is just a scam

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
Sure seems like it anyway. I just got my DOT number; I didn't know I even needed one. I've been running the medium duty truck for about 5 years now, and never got stopped, never had anyone ever tell me I was supposed to have one. I thought as long as I was under 26K, I was ok. That's not the case. Anyway, so I got my number, yay me. So, as soon as you finish that ridiculous application process on FMCSA's website, you start to get calls and emails. I mean hundreds of em. All these agents trying to prey on your inexperience and fears. All these guys telling you "we just checked your USDOT status, and you're in violation..." crap like that. That's total BS. I got my number 2 weeks ago, and I'm still getting calls and emails. They have slowed down though. So then, we have the physical coming up, which I'm not worried about, but that's $500 that my insurance won't pay. Than there's the annual inspection of the truck itself. Here's the real scammy part. I asked the licensing people who I have to take the truck to, and they told me "any authorized USDOT inspection station" and to just google it, which I did. Every shop in my area is "authorized". So here I am, thinking, I'm a mechanic, what do I have to do to get authorized? All I have to do is fill out a form that says I have 2 years experience working on these trucks. I don't even send that in, I just fill it out, and keep it in a file, and I'm authorized. Well, I probably spend almost that time building this truck, so I'm authorized. Then, I found a phrase in the regulations that said fleets can conduct their own inspections. Really? That's not a conflict of interest or anything? I ran all this by my licensing people and yeah, I'm authorized and can conduct my own inspections. Because I'm now a motor carrier with a fleet of 1. So, all of this is just a way to spend more money to keep a number.

excavator

3rd party companies trying to make a buck doing the paperwork that you can do yourself. It really has nothing to do with the DOT, anyone can access the DOT site to see who has a number. I had the same thing, I run a T600 as a service truck and started getting emails and letters so one day when I saw a WSP truck inspector setting at a fire station down the road I stopped and asked him what all I needed to do. I spent an hour and a half talking with him, he was very helpful, he even called the state auditor to ask them a few questions. It turns out all I'm supposed to do is an annual inspection, none of the stuff in the emails apply. I can also do my own inspection but I choose to pay a local truck shop a $100.00 to do it, that way if there is an accident there's less responsibility on me.

Truck Shop

Look at it this way it gives all something to constantly bitch about and keeps eveyone's jaw
exorcised with all the babble quacking.
The good thing about threads like this is it's entertainment--I spent years dealing with regs.
It's wonderful to watch small companies **** and moan over paper work and regs.:p:D

Truck Shop

I just got my DOT number; I didn't know I even needed one.
Ok--now that you have it and know about inspections and performing them-next step that most
don't do is start a file on any piece that has a DOT number. Any repairs done by you should be
on a legit repair order and filed, inspections filed, any outside work filed, keep a complete file
incase of any accident or DOT investigation and or a surprise audit.

heymccall

Here in PA,17k lbs requires a medical card, regardless. As soon as I cross a state line, 10,001 lbs and up requires a medical card.

As for inspection, aside from an extra set of eyes looking it over, it also helps in the event of a collision or other reportable offense, in that you did have the truck safety inspected on intervals.

Last edited:

skyking1

I have an appointment Tuesday to get the dump truck gone through and inspected. I am happy to spend the bosses money for that paper trail that TS mentioned above. Boss does not really know it but he should be happy too.
They had been winging it for 8 years while I was gone. Not a good situation.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Got a registered LLC here that is called a "Ranch" (Sequestered Ridge Ranch) so anything I bring home is bringing back to the "farm/ranch". While we are at it we can throw some red diesel in the mix too on this thread. Stick the tanks on my vehicles and yes you will find red diesel in all of them, I drive more out here between my properties and around them moving stuff than I do on the road in a month. Not calling a fuel truck out here to bring #2 or #1 diesel either to be stored for when needed.

wlhequipment

Occupation
Mechanic
I obviously got to shop that physical around a little :). Yeah the whole question of whether or not I'm a motor carrier was in question. I carry parts for sale, but they're mine until I install em, so that's a grey area. Bottom line is, I'm over 11k lbs, and I use my rig for commerce. Shady deal for sure, but I did it.

Truck Shop

Free Market, Capitalism and free Enterprise-it's all in the price of doing business.
I was licensed/insured/bonded for 11 western states and British Columbia. Had to pay
$5.00 bucks every time to reenter the U.S. or spend a $125.00 for a yearly pass-------
it all was part of doing business.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Free Market, Capitalism and free Enterprise-it's all in the price of doing business.
I was licensed/insured/bonded for 11 western states and British Columbia. Had to pay
$5.00 bucks every time to reenter the U.S. or spend a $125.00 for a yearly pass-------
it all was part of doing business.
As they say, pass the buck.
Charge you for this permit that license this much for insurance, you just roll it up and stick it in the customers tabs somehow or write it off if smart enough.

MG84

I guess we are somewhat lucky in VA, as long as I stay in state I don’t need a DOT number, or any markings on the truck whatsoever. Also since I stay in state and within 100mi, no log books, IFTA tax or FMCSA inspection, just a regular state inspection like the cars get, although it is $50 instead of $20. I don’t need a medical card either for what I do, but keep one anyways. Just got my DOT physical yesterday, cost $105.