• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

US Army Caterpillar Deuce

Northart

Ist time I seen this in person. Lucked out when they had one in at NC.

Attachments

• Caterpillar Deuce a.JPG
    Caterpillar Deuce a.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 8,826
  • Caterpillar Deuce c.JPG
    Caterpillar Deuce c.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 7,489
  • Caterpillar Deuce d.JPG
    Caterpillar Deuce d.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 6,286
  • Caterpillar Deuce e.JPG
    Caterpillar Deuce e.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 5,550
  • Caterpillar Deuce f.JPG
    Caterpillar Deuce f.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 5,703

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
^ I did. :p I bet they could make a bridge for the other stuff to get across. It almost looks like a modified challenger.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
I like the flip down ripper teeth, they dig in when going back wards and slide on the ground as you push forward, very neat.

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
I like the flip down ripper teeth, they dig in when going back wards and slide on the ground as you push forward, very neat.

Ron i agree i like the backup ripper system.You see them on dozer around the oilfield the most it seems.

They would work good for my operation since i would only be using them for ripping hard dirt during the dry time,it that ever get here:beatsme.:usa

YoungOne

We have one of these at my unit.

Fort Pickett. Blackstone virginia.DPW ( Departmen of Public Works ).

We dont use it very often, and i havent had a chance to get a try at it. But i have seen it pull a few stuck tanks out. And travel from one end of the base to the other.

In my opinion. Time for my unit to send it elsewhere.

-Michael-

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
[-Agent-];71122 said:
^ I did. :p I bet they could make a bridge for the other stuff to get across. It almost looks like a modified challenger.

It is more or less a Challenger modified for the military.

looks like the bison that deere making

Indeed -- perhaps the Bison wasn't aimed squarely at contractors (some of whom are obviously lamenting its merits), but also at the military. The Deuce is getting long in the tooth, and even though the military has a habit of running machines into the ground, it's due for a freshening. Looks like they may have their answer.

alco

Indeed -- perhaps the Bison wasn't aimed squarely at contractors (some of whom are obviously lamenting its merits), but also at the military. The Deuce is getting long in the tooth, and even though the military has a habit of running machines into the ground, it's due for a freshening. Looks like they may have their answer.

I brought that idea up a while ago and was told by some on here that no, it's not even close to the same. While they were right about the design, nobody says it has to be exactly the same to be aimed at the same job. I'm going to be watching to see if anything comes of it.

Brian

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
Looks like Cat has gone to a new high track design. LOL

As far as the back-up rippers they are nice but they are also hard on the undercarriage.

Dirt Dogg

Occupation
Owner/Operator
back up rippers

Ron i agree i like the backup ripper system.You see them on dozer around the oilfield the most it seems.

They would work good for my operation since i would only be using them for ripping hard dirt during the dry time,it that ever get here:beatsme.:usa

Construct'O I wanted to put backup rippers on my 6R but thought they would hold wet material and block what little view you get of the cutting edge. Just my opinion:beatsme
http://www.vailproducts.com/SiteResources/Data/Templates/t2.asp?docid=643&DocName=CAT D6H, D6R, D6M

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
Our D5h has back up rippers on them and I havent noticed any blockage of view, also we have not had any trouble with wet material lodging.

The only thing with putting them on the 6R is that when you back up with them they might pull dirt up on the blade support, blocking your view.

Dirt Dogg

Occupation
Owner/Operator
d6peg have you noticed any accelareted pin wear? u/c wear is usually worse backing up, now your applying load in reverse. just wondering???

alco

d6peg have you noticed any accelareted pin wear? u/c wear is usually worse backing up, now your applying load in reverse. just wondering???

I know it's not the same thing, but a place I used to work ran all of our pushcats with the ripper shanks backwards. The idea was that the cat would rip in reverse on the return trip to pickup another buggy. I'm pretty sure I heard it from every possible angle how we would take out transmissions, chew up undercarriage and so on. But in all honesty, in the three years I was there, we never lost or had any problems with a tranny on a pushcat, and we didn't find them to wear out undercarriage any faster either.

All in all, it worked very well, save a lot of time, and never gave us any issues.

Brian

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator

Dirt Dogg,
I really couldnt tell you if we have had any accelerated pin wear because I dont have anything to compare the d5 with other than a D6R and that would be comparing apples and oranges. I do know that when ripping in reverse that the u/c makes alot more noise than when not ripping. I have noticed when ripping in reverse it is very hard to keep the tracks from spinning. My belief has always been that dozers were designed to work going forward and rest going backwards, that is why I dont backdrag, if it was designed to work in reverse I am sure Cat would have put a blade on the rear of the machine. Just my .02

thebobcatkid86

I have a book on the history of Cat that has a few pics of one in it. I always wanted to try one. Ive tried to keep my eyes open for one at surplus auctions and such but so far no luck.:rolleyes:
I dont know much about dozers. I wonder would one make a good actual work machine or would it be more of a novelty.
In all seriousness I dont know what Id do with one, I guess Id have to go into the dozer sub-work biz. But it would be badass none the less.:D
Am I right that I heard that these were built to be air-dropped for remote runway construction?

Last edited:

Northart

Deuce Application ?

The Deuce was built for Military purposes. Combat Engineers type work. Building revements for artillery. Repairing bomb damaged roads, airports. Cleaning up urban warfare scenes for troops.

The need for fast mobility from scene to scene, over all types of terrain.

Yes, its built to kneel so it can be loaded in a Herk C130.

It was introduced in 1999, so it's not ready for surplus yet.

Far as civilian application, somebody might find a limited use, I'm sure.