• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Upcoming contract negotiations...need help please

kosmokramer

I am a steel worker local 5632 and work for a rail tank car company in colton ca. I am also one of two crane operators at our yard. We have 2 15 ton dressers with a 60 foot boom. The company paid for me to get my NCCCO certification for fixed cab boom but other than a couple hours a day away from my primary job assignment our current contract does not call for any raise as an equipment operator. I am also on our union bargaining commitee and will be flying to dallas next week to negotiate a new three year contract. While there i am goin to try and get a rate increase for our operators.

My question is what would a union and non union crane operator be paid with my liscense?

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
You have bettered yourself ..have a license that does allow you to legally work equipment under said license ..

Credentials aside ..I'm afraid your only going to garnish the applicable rate for the tonnage of the unit your on ..
..firstly you should contact the IUOE branch in your area ..find out what the rate and package is for the tonnage of that unit ..in that work environment ..
Heavy industrial ,crane rental ..whatever your case is ..

Asking for parity in wage and package isn't a tall order ..And yes it is only a small part of your daily job ..but the crane is your responsibility before during and after ..
As the operator ..your responsible to ensure the machine is safe,and any defects be addressed before ..or if it can be ,,after the task ....your responsible for the machine and the load while your operating it ..when its parked after ..your responsible for anything that happens with that machine after you have left it ..within reason ..and that any repairs needed are addressed

I dont know what you get now ..but a 15 ton unit should garnish between 25-32 dollars Canadian ..in a heavy industrial setting rings solid for a a guy with a license ..

Best of luck....just look for parity ..it may be a small part of your job ..but that unit ,yourself and everyone else plus load ..Its all your responsabilty...all day ..and the next ..
That responsability is why you should get a little better than the rest ..

Your license doesent really matter the tonnage of the unit does ...in regards to wage's

Lugghead

that's local 12's jurisdiction............call em and tell em you're a steel worker with a cco, then ask em what you should get paid........they may tell you where to go.....i'd love to be a fly on the wall when you do it........you might want to look up the the definition of 'jurisdiction' in the bylaws and the local contract and avoid some grief........just a word to the wise.........

Last edited:

No1Hookman

Occupation
Duh.......
Block your phone when you call or there may be a visit from the guys with the dark sunglasses.:lmao

Lugghead

Your license doesent really matter the tonnage of the unit does ...in regards to wage's

This isn't necessarily true..........we have four different contracts for the area that i work in..........some pay extra for cco and some you can't run a crane without it........our contracts have pay increases for BOOM length...

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
This isn't necessarily true..........we have four different contracts for the area that i work in..........some pay extra for cco and some you can't run a crane without it........our contracts have pay increases for BOOM length...

Part of me knew there was gonna be different perspective's ..As the agreements are different in some respects depending on area ..

The wage I quoted was for a guy holding ..at least around the little bit of the block Ive been around ,a full cco ticket or just a ticket to a particular tonnage ..
Where I was ..I got a base rate of $36 to run a 15T unit ..where as the guy with the 15T ticket would only get $30(approx)

My wage didn't go up until 90T or more ,then every 100T after was a different wage..after 400T (If i remember) it was the tonnage rate plus a $1..They guy running a 500t unit with just main ..got the same as the guy running a 500 with luffer

The Boom length scenario ..well that's different ..usually the higher tonnage units have the capacity to sport more boom..

At what length does the wage go up ?

And what do you do in the case of the Grove GTK1100?

Attachments

• breuer-wasel-gtk-1100-13.jpg
    breuer-wasel-gtk-1100-13.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 397
  • Grove-GTK1100_hr.jpg
    Grove-GTK1100_hr.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 428
  • 28dea3f921.jpg
    28dea3f921.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:

Lugghead

tower cranes go by height......whether they are self erecting or stationary..........

kosmokramer

that's local 12's jurisdiction............call em and tell em you're a steel worker with a cco, then ask em what you should get paid........they may tell you where to go.....i'd love to be a fly on the wall when you do it........you might want to look up the the definition of 'jurisdiction' in the bylaws and the local contract and avoid some grief........just a word to the wise.........

Thanks for all the responses. Lugghead, i thought i might be stepping on some toes and was trying to avoid calling their local but ill give it a try. Since we actually work for the company and are not a field union our contract is written that we have the opportunity to complete all work unless we are incapable, at that point the company has to consult me as the grievance chairman and contract out to another union trade.

heavylift

The only Union work that I have done was 3 Days.... The Paper said backhoe operators needed.... so I call... then go to work... All their stuff ran out of a Labor Hall ... which paid labor rates for everything...We had a bit of a disagreement the 3 day when they wanted 50' foot of trench dug by hand....
The pipefitters and plumber union here all run forklifts .... the crane work they hire ...
I don't know if the forklift is something that is not classified as an operator thing...

Good Luck on the more money thing

The 1100 looks cool ...I have watched the video.....
they did a wind farm near here.... they use a manitiwoc crawler... wadded it up into a tangle pile of steel... I've never run a crawler, but the area they were working in was really hilly.....

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
tower cranes go by height......whether they are self erecting or stationary..........

I never really considered it a true tower as the operator is on the ground ..and runs it via remote control..
Also the crane aspect is the upper of the GMK 6300..(basicly)

The big difference here is that the remote center for the crane is the cab of the GMK6300..with all the atributes of the GMK6300..

Which does beg the question in the licensing i guess ..a tower ticket or a mobile ticket ..(theres a difference here ).. what qualifies a mobile operator to run a tower ..what qualifies a tower operator to run a mobile ..Or does an employer seek a guy that hold's both ..?

Just conversation ...And yeah Ive blown it off topic ..:beatsme:Banghead

Again:eek:

kosmokramer

So i called local 12 district 5 in redlands and the lady that answered was really super nice. She told me the 15 ton boom would get 40.01 according to the master agreement. As it turns out they are accepting apprentice applications, How does the apprenticeship work?

liebherr1160

Occupation
Crane Operator
So i called local 12 district 5 in redlands and the lady that answered was really super nice. She told me the 15 ton boom would get 40.01 according to the master agreement. As it turns out they are accepting apprentice applications, How does the apprenticeship work?

40.01 ..thats the package ..from that minus pension-benifots ..10 bucks or so ..30 on the check..

Apprenyice ship ...couldnt tell ya ...Its probably different from where i did mine

team350/240

I never really considered it a true tower as the operator is on the ground ..and runs it via remote control..
Also the crane aspect is the upper of the GMK 6300..(basicly)

The big difference here is that the remote center for the crane is the cab of the GMK6300..with all the atributes of the GMK6300..

Which does beg the question in the licensing i guess ..a tower ticket or a mobile ticket ..(theres a difference here ).. what qualifies a mobile operator to run a tower ..what qualifies a tower operator to run a mobile ..Or does an employer seek a guy that hold's both ..?

Just conversation ...And yeah Ive blown it off topic ..:beatsme:Banghead

Again:eek:

actually its a 7550 upper. and if it was me it would be a mobile ticket because your doing everything from the ground and it would be just like running a mobile with a luffer attachment. just my .02:drinkup