• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

unusual use for a telehandler

bill onthehill

this cat has been sitting up the road from my place since late fall. the outfit usually runs bobcat t300's with a similar tree spade. this is the first I have seen one used like this,but it should allow them to reach in among the other trees and pluck out the one they want with less damage than a skid. Has not moved since cold weather set in and it will be a good long while till it thaws out enough to dig with it. I dug a hole for a neighbor to bury a cow that died birthing, and had to scratch a bit with my hoe to get through the frost. Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1556.jpg
    IMG_1556.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,949
  • IMG_1558.jpg
    IMG_1558.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,916

pottsy

Hmmm.... from that angle is it actually attached or just sitting in front of it? Interesting idea though...

bill onthehill

answers to your questions

I took the camera and stomped back thru the snow to get a close look at this thing. it is attached using a itt style quick connect. it has a reel mounted on the telescoping boom for the sensor wiring for the lock ring and spades. it is an Optimal tree handler from germany and it appears to be a very ruggedly built unit. I cant wait for spring so I can see it in action!! calling for 6-10 inches more snow. spring is coming and we can always plow snow till the weather breaks. Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1565.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,705
  • IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,684
  • IMG_1567.jpg
    IMG_1567.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,706
  • IMG_1568.jpg
    IMG_1568.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 1,681

I AM IRONMAN

Occupation
Sales & Consultant Rep.
It's a very nice looking machine. Kind of expensive to be running a tree spade! I suppose they like it because it will reach out and pick up a tree or reach out to put one in. Also they are very manuverable in the four wheel steering mode.
I see a lot of people using Telehandlers for things other than handling building materials, but for the most part, that is what they are best for.
Some guys try putting a loader bucket on them and using them for a wheel loader. While they will work, they are not very durable. The boom has slides, chains, shims, pullys, etc. that are very expensive to maintain.
If you had to push down on the boom to push the tree spade in, I think it would cause a lot of flexing and wear on the boom.

albertozordan

Nice attachement! :notworthy
Very interesting. Here in Europe those kind of accessory is kinda used, especially in the northern part.

Which kind of "strange-attachement" are most used overthere?

Iron Horse

Are you putting a Brahman bull over another breed ? If so , they produce offspring with big boof heads that will kill the cow .