1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Unloading dozer on pavement.

Discussion in 'Equipment Moving Questions' started by roysbigtoys, Mar 29, 2016.

1. roysbigtoys

roysbigtoys Active Member

Excavating Contractor
    How do you guys unload a dozer or anything with steel tracks without tearing up the pavement. I have used everything from old decking from my lowboy to strips of plywood to lay under the tracks. I saw a lowboy the other day that had some old conveyer belt rolled up on the deck, I assumed he was using it for unloading. Has anyone else used that to unload on? Any other thoughts on unloading on pavement?

2. CaptainAnalyzer

CaptainAnalyzer Well-Known Member

Young business owner
    We always use some 36" wide conveyor for all steel track machines over 10,000lbs. when they are to be tracked over concrete or pavement.

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    old conveyor belt or old pick-up size tyres.

4. roysbigtoys

Excavating Contractor
    Thanks for the quick replies. I going to try and find some used belting.

5. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    If there are any stone quarries or large gravel beds near you, especially if you are a customer, try talking to them. I know where I retired from they often had a bunch of old belting they were glad to get rid of.

6. roysbigtoys

Excavating Contractor
    Thanks to everyone who replied!
    With no luck inquiring at several quarries and a couple of concrete plants, I found a neighbor that had a 100 ft roll of new conveyor belt. He traded it to me for a 30 pack of beer. It pays to have good neighbors.:drinkup

PS: The belting worked great ........thanks again for the help!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    That must have been good beer or cheep belting! But as both are happy that's the important thing:drinkup

8. RonG

RonG Charter Member

heavy equipment operator
    When you have a neighbor with a lowbed you are good to them!Ron G

9. bam1968

bam1968 Senior Member

Excavating Contractor
    Just the other day I had a guy tell me he uses old pickup tires as Nige said but he takes a sawzall and cuts the tread off and uses the sidewalls to track on. I thought I might give that a try. FWIW

10. CaptainAnalyzer

CaptainAnalyzer Well-Known Member

Young business owner
    Depending on the size of belt, you could have struck a gold mine, we buy belt for about $63/ft. Glad he took care of you!

11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    The thing about pickup size tyres as opposed to truck tyres or conveyor belting is that one man can handle them comfortably. A big plus if you are the driver who has to go out to deliver or collect a machine on his own.

12. moriboy

moriboy Well-Known Member

Machine shop owner
    We've always used tires. A D7 can be walked across a paved street without any damage.

13. RonG

RonG Charter Member

heavy equipment operator
    I never had a helper and often had to work at night in the dark....you oughta hear me cuss at the guy who last used those ratchet binders and didn't reverse the pawl so they were ready to use and I couldn't see them in the dark!Give me the over center binders any day!Ron G

14. td25c

td25c Senior Member

15. roysbigtoys

Excavating Contractor
    Nige has a good point about the tires being more easy to handle, but I cut my belt in 8' lengths ( I think its 32" wide ) and it is very for one guy to move around. Plus they lay nice and flat on the lowboy. On another note.......I know it was minimal, when unloading on the belting it also seemed to ride smoother on a hard surface.