• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Unit crane on wheels

DigDug

My friends Unit Crane. His name is Jim Humphrey. This Unit is different from others I have seen here . It is on 10 tires not crawler tracks. He says is came from the Navy and was designed for dock work. Here are some pics. doug

Attachments

• Unit Crane.jpg
    Unit Crane.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 3,344
  • unit crane wheels.jpg
    unit crane wheels.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,450
  • unit tower.jpg
    unit tower.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,899

amunderdog

I count 12 tires ?
Although i can only see 8 in the picture. I assume the other 4 are back there.
Neat rig.
When does the restoration start?

DigDug

I count 12 tires ?
Although i can only see 8 in the picture. I assume the other 4 are back there.
Neat rig.
When does the restoration start?

My mistake you are right. I was thinking a ten wheeler dump truck I guess. There are 12. :Banghead

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
My mistake you are right. I was thinking a ten wheeler dump truck I guess. There are 12. :Banghead

We'll give you a pass on that one Dug--you're probably still discombobulated from running that cable hoe. :lmao

td25c

I was never around a wagon crane.Do the front wheels steer?will it move under it's own power like a crawler crane?On the last picture it looks like it was the anti-2block switch on the boom.Thats a neet old crane DigDug.

TunnelGuy

The wagon crane does move under it's own power, if you look between the rear set of wheels there are drive chains that are ran from the center of the machinery deck through a traction shaft to all 4 rears. steering is done using a simple hydraulic cylnder between the front wheels. the crane is likely a 1220W which ours is rated for 25 tons. kind of a nice yard crane, it has 4 speeds and can pick a decent load. The nice thing about a UNIT is that the whole crane is ran from 1 mechanical transmission, brakes and mech clutches - a true friction rig - no air or hydraulic assist. it can wear you out if you are clamming all day.

1923mack

Wagon cranes were never made in large quantities, but are seen around here now and then. The 2 axle 8 wheel is more common that the 3 axle 12 wheel your friend has. Scrap yards and military are common locations of them.

1923mack

I almost bought a wagon crane from up in the Bay area of Northern California. It was also an 12 wheel model. It was an over weight and overwide load. The price was fair, but moving cost made it a no sale.

UnitCrane514

Occupation
Machinist
That looks like a 1020C, With a 2 speed travel system, looks very restorable. What engine is in it?

cranefreak53

Occupation
crane and construction equipment dealer
Crane must be a 1220 or 1520 W. My father had them in the past coming from US army and Navy depots.
Very nice crane to operate and maintanance was very easy. This crane was its time far ahead in comparison to other crane manufacturers.

IHguy

Occupation
consultant
Hello 1923 Mack,

Do you have old Mack trucks?
I am looking for some parts.
Marty/ IHguy
773-490-9747

Anton gosley

Hello,

We are going to use an old unit crane for a display. Although it won't have to function, we would like to create a longer derrick. Does any one know if there are extension sections available? Also we would like a replacement foot window as this one is shattered.

Thanks

Anton

905 329 4321

UnitCrane514

Occupation
Machinist
As in derrick you mean the boom??? Why are you just displaying it? I know a supplier with every part imaginable for Unit cranes but if your just displaying the machine it wont be worth the money for an actual Unit boom section. If you do still want a longer boom you can simply make a 10 or 5 foot section with some angle iron. I made 2 10 foot sections for my Unit dragline and it does the job just as good as the actual Unit boom. Also make sure you use the proper length pendant lines and the right length of cable for the bridle section. I have a full set of manuals that I can send you through email if you want them let me know.
Mike

UnitCrane514

Occupation
Machinist
Oh and one more thing, as for the glass just get a piece of 1/4 inch safety glass and cut it to size with a razor knife....might be 1/2 inch thick or so, I will check what size when I get a chance. Just make sure you use weather strip caulk so it wont leak when it rains.

UnitCrane514

Occupation
Machinist
Nope no Bantam booms...sorry! For what size, C-35? You woukd happen to have a Bantam manual that you could email me would you? I have a T-35 Schield Bantam, I just built extra bokm sections for mine....its way easier than trackin down a actual Bantam boom. Contact Gerharts Machinery...they mostly have Northwest and Murphy diesel parts but they probably still have what you need. Let me know about the manual if you have one, could really use one, even if its a copy I dont care...still does its job! :eek:

bigshow

I got a t-350, and I have manuals for it, I will probably end up making boom but if I could buy it I'd be more confident with it. I have been in contact with Gerharts with no such luck. Pm me your e-mail address and I'll get you a copy if you'd like.

ror76a

UnitCrane514,

Can you post some pictures of your machine, and the boom sections you built for it. Maybe some measurements would help these guys.

DigDug

Im happy to say my friend Jim sold me the Unit crane at the beginning of this thread. I hope to restore it and will be using it at my yard. I plan to drive it to the shop which is about 2 miles. Will post some pics when I do. doug