• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Unique Repair

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
...I didn't pay too much attention to the comings and goings of the crews but about two weeks after the new equipment showed up so did the mechanic from the company that sold the equipment and after a couple of days went by of him pulling both chippers apart I decided to check in and see what was going on , it seems the low bid company hired people who had never run a chipper before so they didn't know you had to lock in the clutch , the mechanic said the low bid company called complaining that hey couldn't chip and brush with the machines unless one of the crew stood there holding the clutch in other words slipping the clutch , the mechanic was laughing as he was telling me this and yes he put clutches in both brand new chippers and did his best to explain the over center clutch to the operators...

That is too funny! (Can't blame guys who don't know what a Twin-Disk or Rockwell clutch is. *Can* blame the company for lack of training and instruction to the employees. The picture of the road wheel and wrenches should be the new image for the company!)

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
Engine Shed, as my granddad said, "when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..." (you get less than you pay for, when you pay less than it's worth)

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Engine Shed, as my granddad said, "when you pay peanuts, you get monkeys..." (you get less than you pay for, when you pay less than it's worth)

Problem is too many think about the first one is Hey elephants work for peanuts! Sure they might like to have a few as a snack but when you figure an elephant eats around 200 lbs a day and peanuts go for about $2.00 a pound just in peanuts alone that is going to cost you $400.00! The you need to give them about 50 gallons of water, and remember what goes in will come out!

Sure the monkeys eat and drink much less but have you visited a zoo lately and seen what the monkeys spend there time doing? Scratching butt and playing with....well guess that's not far from some some workers I've seen on some projects so maybe the monkeys would be a good option!

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Problem is too many think about the first one is Hey elephants work for peanuts! Sure they might like to have a few as a snack but when you figure an elephant eats around 200 lbs a day and peanuts go for about $2.00 a pound just in peanuts alone that is going to cost you $400.00! The you need to give them about 50 gallons of water, and remember what goes in will come out!

Sure the monkeys eat and drink much less but have you visited a zoo lately and seen what the monkeys spend there time doing? Scratching butt and playing with....well guess that's not far from some some workers I've seen on some projects so maybe the monkeys would be a good option!
Bloody well said.

The Engine Shed

Occupation
Self Employed heavy truck and equipment mechanic
So if there's nothing in the DOT manual stating you can't use combination wrenches to hold on the wheel, does that mean it's allowed??

I'd love to see what the DOT would do is the caught them on the road with that setup , I do know that they only have authority on the roads and highways .

I agree that someone should have trained the operators of both the bucket trucks and the chippers and got them familiarized with them before putting them out on the jobs , I don't know what the company rate is but working for the municipality they are required by law to pay the workers prevailing wage in Massachusetts .

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I agree that someone should have trained the operators of both the bucket trucks and the chippers and got them familiarized with them before putting them out on the jobs , I don't know what the company rate is but working for the municipality they are required by law to pay the workers prevailing wage in Massachusetts .

That's if the workers are smart enough to understand the "prevailing wage" rules and the company is honest enough to actually pay them the rate. Why do you think some outfits like to hire people with little or no education.

ericscher

If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.

I don't know if they still publish it but there used to be a US Army field manual for "Field Expedient Repairs". This predates the Humvee, which I remember in particular because there was a detailed description for dealing with a wheel that broke off the rear axle of your jeep that involved using a chain to lash a log to the chassis such that you could support the frame off the ground and drive (drag) yourself back to base.