• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

unions

maq

I was thinking of joining the local operator engineers union. I am in Dallas, TX and don’t know how successful this will be. I am originally from the north east where just about everything commercial is union. My goal is to learn the ropes of operating so I can eventually start my own business. I was wondering if joining the union will help me do this or will I have a better chance being non union. I have tried to get a job at a couple different companies but I lack the experience to be an operator I can run some equipment just need some seat time to really get good at it. Although with this current economy it is difficult to find that seat. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
**** ******** * * ******** * * *:drinkup:drinkup

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
maq, since you've joined relatively recently, you may be puzzled by qball's post. There's a chance you may not have read the forum policy regarding the discussion of unions. It can be found here.

It says, in part:

I've made it clear in another thread that this Board will not be used to promote unions nor recruit members to the unions...

and

Occasionally topics come up involving unions in one respect or another and we've allowed the discussions, all 308 of them. That is, until they become overly contentious and unproductive. Whether to be a union member or not is a personal choice that should neither be encouraged nor ridiculed here.

In other words, we've found it to be a potential hot-button topic, and try real hard to keep things fair and balanced. To spell it out for anyone who may not recognize the nuances, the Forum Policy is basically one of "aggressive neutrality".

Now, having read that, you might understand why Qball would be reluctant to post in this thread at all, since he's got one foot in the grave, and the other on a banana peel, membership-wise. He, more than most members, should be watching his step. You'd be perfectly reasonable to wonder why in the world he'd have posted what he did though. I'm sure wondering what he expects. He's not stupid. :beatsme

That having been said, yours was a reasonable question, and there's nobody on the staff who's going have a problem with anyone who gives you a reasonable, insightful, answer, as long as they stick to the facts, and remain within the guidelines that have been laid out.

maq

Thanks digger I'll research the archives and see what I info I can get. After reading your post I do realize how it can be a hot button topic and didn't even think about it when I posted it.

Turbo21835

Since Q is not allowed to voice his opinion as a union member, ill add mine as a union member. Why not join, where else can you get the training IUOE provides and you get paid for it. Anything from running a tower crane, to running a skid steer. From running a grader, to running a side boom or pipe bending machine. Not to mention the class room training. Foreman training, FIRST AID, grade stake reading/layout, and Hazmat training. We also train other unions members in classes such as Asbestos.

Our 40 hour classes pay a pre diem to cover your travel costs. Where else would you get that? Not to mention our higher pay scale, pension, and healthcare for your family members. You can also work for yourself in the future on a the self employed self payment option. why hire some guy off the street that says he can do the job, when you can call the hall and get a guy that you know can do the job. Saves you time and money.

Not only do we train our member, but my local also trains emergency responders. We train them in structure collapses. We teach them how to shore a damaged structure, cut through it and how to work with equipment operators in that situation. We also teach them trench rescues. Class room first, then we go out in the field, dig them a trench, and show them how to shore it up. Weather it be with a box, whalers, or other shoring systems.

Now I just spent 10 minutes typing a helpful response that should help out, with any luck, this will not get deleted, as it did not attack anyone, and it should answers some your questions. If you have any others, you could send me a private message

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Great post, Turbo. Thanks.

Since Q is not allowed to voice his opinion as a union member,

Just for the record, I'll repeat what I said:
...and there's nobody on the staff who's going have a problem with anyone who gives you a reasonable, insightful, answer, as long as they stick to the facts, and remain within the guidelines that have been laid out.

Q chose to make the thread a joke. :beatsme

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Since Q is not allowed to voice his opinion as a union member, ill add mine as a union member.

First of all this is not a comment -

**** ******** * * ******** * * *:drinkup:drinkup
(This is what Qball actually posted, it has not been edited by the staff whatsoever)

That post is not constructive nor condusive to the question asked in the thread.

Now I just spent 10 minutes typing a helpful response that should help out, with any luck, this will not get deleted, as it did not attack anyone, and it should answers some your questions.

Why would this get deleted? You posted helpful information to the question asked.

Last edited:

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
Lets see how this one goes. :popcorn

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
:lmao. its the quote that cracked me up. NOT who it refered to. :drinkup

You like that one? A good friend of mine has used that one for years and years. It seems to fit the situation.

Lets see how this one goes. :popcorn

Honestly, I see no reason why the on topic portion of Turbo's post shouldn't be what sets the standard for whatever follows.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Can not comment as state side union issues have no bearing on this side of the pond, Sorry .

Stock

td25c

Hi maq and welcome.It sounds like your main concern is employment.My advice is if you stay non-union look for smaller excavating companys to apply at.They are more willing to let a younger,motivated,self-starting worker in the operators seat.At smaller companys everyone gets to know each other well,and in time the older operators will show you the tricks of the trade and give advice.You are also given alot of different jobs,truck driver,equipment operator,mechainic,and they will let you run a hand shovel to.I have alot of buddys in the operators union,the union has good training programs,benefits,and retirement.Some times my buddys have to travel a ways on some jobs.Good luck finding a job,and hope you get to operating soon.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Like any job that you take if you don't like it you can leave. That said try it if you can get in and then make your decision and your experience. I personally have been a union contractor since 1978. What pisses me off is not if you are union or not but the guys who cheat on prevailing wage projects.

I can easily compete with any open shop tht pays the correct wages.

Go for it you will never then be guessing.

Turbo21835

What pisses me off is not if you are union or not but the guys who cheat on prevailing wage projects.

I know our local around here is aggressivley going after those cheaters. By law you can request to see their books and get proof that they are paying PW. We are after several local contractors that often get low bid by a mile, and we know they are working the system somewhere. Once we find out if they are cheating on PW we can get them thrown off the public works bid lists. Its only right that everyone pay the same wage on these projects, in the name of fairness.

Also, in my region, we have a low wage compared to other areas of our local. We actually call it a market recovery area. We have so much non union competition, our contractors would not be able to compete against any non union companies on anything but public works projects.

Speedpup

Occupation
I know our local around here is aggressivley going after those cheaters. By law you can request to see their books and get proof that they are paying PW. We are after several local contractors that often get low bid by a mile, and we know they are working the system somewhere. Once we find out if they are cheating on PW we can get them thrown off the public works bid lists. Its only right that everyone pay the same wage on these projects, in the name of fairness.

Also, in my region, we have a low wage compared to other areas of our local. We actually call it a market recovery area. We have so much non union competition, our contractors would not be able to compete against any non union companies on anything but public works projects.

Bid a job and three union masonry contractors were over 600-620,000 & one non-union guy 550,000. The guy who took the job is 360,000 and I have his proposal in hand.:eek: It is a complicated job also.:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead

Job I am doing now HVAC guys are getting 17 per hour base pay not the about 40 per hour base which doesn't include the benny's.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
the training is a huge part of being union. but the main part to me is the brotherhood. if a contractor screws with me, my money, or my bennies, i can call the hall and it is taken care of. i have been off 7 months. i get calls from business agents every couple of days checking up on me. that makes me feel good. we are suffering huge amounts of unemployment now and brothers are in big trouble, so we have a food bank and member assistance. for me, knowing someone has my back is the best part.

Jeff S

Like any job that you take if you don't like it you can leave. That said try it if you can get in and then make your decision and your experience. I personally have been a union contractor since 1978. What pisses me off is not if you are union or not but the guys who cheat on prevailing wage projects.

Go for it you will never then be guessing.

Speedpup, I'm a non-union contractor here in ny. I will, from time to time, sign a one liner with the local ironworker's. Every project that I do is a rate/prevailing wage project and I know I would'nt attmept to cheat a person out of their rate. As you probably know, here in ny if you got caught pulling a dirty deal like that, your not only getting fined, your not allowed to price another project for five years. Also, that's why theres certified payroll (AIA)

Speedpup

Occupation
Speedpup, I'm a non-union contractor here in ny. I will, from time to time, sign a one liner with the local ironworker's. Every project that I do is a rate/prevailing wage project and I know I would'nt attmept to cheat a person out of their rate. As you probably know, here in ny if you got caught pulling a dirty deal like that, your not only getting fined, your not allowed to price another project for five years. Also, that's why theres certified payroll (AIA)

rampant cheating on Long Island DA in Suffolk said he was cracking down but I have not seen it yet. I hear on newer projects you have to place the rates due in the pay check every week. What does that matter to a crook if he is not paying the wages anyway? Even many union contractor cheat.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bully

Right on what Q said. And with the training you recieve, you'll have a better understanding of what your machine is capable of, how to work most efficiently and safer. IMO, the training is top shelf, as well as the comradeship you gain through membership. I have no complaint as far as pay, benefits,and pension (it's soooo nice) when work is here, and when work is slow, my brothers and sisters are looking out for me.

Go for it:drinkup