• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

unef 1"-20 nut

Iron@Dirt

It stands for unified national extra fine, should be able to find at places like MSC, Mcmaster carr or others, not that rare in the states.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
hex nut, castle nut, self locking, stainless, brass, hardness grade required, what type of nut?

overworked

I googled it more popular than i thought, either he is working on a boat or the bathroom sink, ha ha. Plz let us know.

Dualie

mcmaster carr is sure to have a couple hundred. Fastenall might have tens of them

mitch504

Fastenal has none of them, I got curious and checked. I'd bet McMaster-Carr has them though.

shipman

Rockwell PR-68 rear axle in our 208 Timberjack. It is the "pinion nut". The input shaft is actually a worm gear assembly with two back to back tapered roller bearings in the front cover. There is another ball bearing (pilot bearing) on the far side of the worm gear. The nut holds half the U-joint assembly on and sets the preload on the pair of roller bearings. I guess thats why it is extra fine, to allow more acurate adjustment of the rolling torque. But wait thats not right because there is not a crush washer between the roller bearings just a spacer ( parts list shows two to pick from, different thicknesses I'd guess). Anyway we had a lot of play in the input shaft and did some disassembly and the threads on the shaft looked pretty beat so we thought aleast a new nut on the re-assembly. Ha. So turns out the bearings are too worn to get the slack out by adjusting up the nut so we will get some parts and take it all apart soon. Gerry