• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Understand the Stability Triangle for Forklift Safety

CEwriter

Occupation
journalist
This story explains the forklift's stability triangle with a nice illustration and a few words. It also goes into what to avoid when rigging loads from the forks, how to safely stack loads, and what to do in case of roll-over.

A Primer on Keeping Forklifts Upright

Links at the bottom access information on how a telehandler's stability triangle differs from that of a vertical-mast forklift, how to lift people safely in a telehandler man basket, and how to keep OSHA off your required telehandler-operator training program.

Might be some useful resources for anyone responsible/motivated by safe operation.

Best,

Larry

gr79

Another perspective: 'The Color Of Danger' National Safety Council's 60's short film is still a good one. Had to watch it every time my forklift operators permit (Michigan) needed renewing along with a T/F written test. Usually took 2 hours.

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Thanks I'll pop one part in the other thread I had on platforms.

Framer

I have a policy. Boom always travels as low as possible. When lifting with a jib, I raise the jib as high as I can and keep my boom as low as I can. This keeps the main weight which is the boom at as low of an elevation as possible. Proper rigging is important. Chains with a master link at the top are the only option. Under the tag manitou pics in action the lift could have never been done without a jib, proper rigging, a great operator. If the load is not completely level when it comes to a rest it will effectively side load the machine pulling it to one site. The forklift is not like a crane at all.

icestationzebra

From my many years working as an engineer for forklift manufacturers I learned one important thing....

DON'T JUMP - BRACE YOURSELF AND STAY IN THE SEAT AS THE MACHINE TIPS OVER!!!!!!

Most of the deaths and major injuries occur when the operator tries to jump out and gets crushed by the ROPS. This is one of the main reasons to make operators wear their seat belts - they don't have time to unbuckle and jump! I know that at least one customer mandated orange seat belts so they could tell when the operators weren't wearing one.

ISZ

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
Guy on Long Island hit a steel pole going fast and the 844C climbed the pole and flipped. It was bent about 60* or less hard for me to imagine how it climbed an 8" steel pole. He fell out and was crushed. 25 guys ran over to try and lift it but it was futile.:( He was also said to have smoked pot in the mornings just a bad combination.