• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Underground Utility Locators?

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Anyone here have any experience with or information about? I have an upcoming project at our local airport which requires the location of existing electrical conduit. I have garden variety circuit tracers which will on a good day trace and locate conduit to 4' but in this instance they are proving ineffective. This is an airport "internal" project and they would rather not pay for a locating service and I sort of promised them I could locate the conduit.

I have no issue with cost so long as it doesn't cost a leg since I can use the equipment for future projects. When the pro's are around it seems they use locators made by 3M but I'm never there long enough to strike up a conversation.

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
i find a cat 345 hoe with a 48" bucket locates utilities real well.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Oh no doubt qball, I've used every brand and have found they are all excellent "inadvertent" locators. Yeah but, nah, that's not what will work at an international airport.
i find a cat 345 hoe with a 48" bucket locates utilities real well.

Turbo21835

We have a ditch witch locator that we use on some sites. It works just as any other locator. We have provided a locate service with that locator to several petroleum pipeline companies. Certainly a handy thing to have around.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
I had always thought that the Ditch Witch Locator was used in conjunction with their horizontal boring machines. I never considered they would work for any locating.
We have a ditch witch locator that we use on some sites. It works just as any other locator. We have provided a locate service with that locator to several petroleum pipeline companies. Certainly a handy thing to have around.

Haddy

Occupation
earthmoving contractor
A couple of months ago I saw a device advertised , it was like a xray machine from what I could work out . It could pick up water pipes , just about any cable , etc . I had a think about it over a few days and decided I would find out some more .... now , I can't remember where I seen that darn thing advertised anywhere . If anyone seen anything like what I,m talking about can you post information about it so a forgetful sole , me , can find out more , Thanks Haddy

Invent_4U

Occupation
I worked many years after having my leg almost tor
SeaMac,
:my2c I would recomend finding someone that can run a Vining rod or a pair of float wires. I live in Wisconsin or I would do it for you. I can't explain it to you because my Mom believed in them and I can't remember not being able too. I find it works with old 5 conductor telephone wires, buried elec, buried Natural Gas Plastic lines, sewer caps that are buried, sewer lines what ever is buried. I ain't blowing smoke and I don't know how it works I just know it does and I am sure that someone in Florida can too. This is real, I am a Christian and I don't believe it is anything paranormal. There is an answer, in the Physics Department, I am guessing could explain it or maybe it it,"JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS" not everything can be explained. I have never searched into it because :beatsmeI just am satisfied that it does. Make a couple float wires and try it yourself, you may have the touch.
I am not a nut:crazy,
Invent_4U

Last edited:

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Hi Invent_4U,

Yeah um, I'm gonna have to pass on that. Like I said, this is an international airport and I have to have documentation to support my findings and location which in-turn has to be confirmed by an engineering firm before work can progress. We are talking about a 13,2 kv electrical service so there is no room for error. I will look into the Ditch Witch locator since I have frequent dealings with them for trencher rentals. I do however appreciate your suggestion and I thank you for it as well.
SeaMac,
:my2c I would recomend finding someone that can run a Vining rod or a pair of float wires. I live in Wisconsin or I would do it for you. I can't explain it to you because my Mom believed in them and I can't remember not being able too. I find it works with old 5 conductor telephone wires, buried elec, buried Natural Gas Plastic lines, sewer caps that are buried, sewer lines what ever is buried. I ain't blowing smoke and I don't know how it works I just know it does and I am sure that someone in Florida can too. This is real, I am a Christian and I don't believe it is anything paranormal. There is an answer, in the Physics Department, I am guessing could explain it or maybe it it,"JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS" not everything can be explained. I have never searched into it because :beatsmeI just am satisfied that it does. Make a couple float wires and try it yourself, you may have the touch.
I am not a nut:crazy,
Invent_4U

buckfever

We have a chicago steeltape. Picksup farrous metals real well and when you locate a power wire it flashes on the screen "caution powerline". It can be very sensitive so you got to give it a little trial run before going to the big league.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
The CST/Berger, I just Googled them. They look pretty interesting, I may well check into them too. Thanks buckfever...
We have a chicago steeltape. Picksup farrous metals real well and when you locate a power wire it flashes on the screen "caution powerline". It can be very sensitive so you got to give it a little trial run before going to the big league.

LBTCon

Tell the fools that run the airport to come off the cash and get a locating company out there. You hit that line and someone could get killed. If it is an international airport like you say it is and not a mom and pop dirt strip they can afford the cost of a locating company a lot better then the cost of a lawsuit, not to mention the cost of repairs and the down time due to power outage. You are also putting yourself in a liabilty situation if anything goes wrong.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Not so much a risk as you think, I am the Electrical Contractor doing the work. Liitle risk of unplanned power outage and myself and my guys are all certified to 35kv. The County doesn't like to spend money they don't have a o.
Tell the fools that run the airport to come off the cash and get a locating company out there. You hit that line and someone could get killed. If it is an international airport like you say it is and not a mom and pop dirt strip they can afford the cost of a locating company a lot better then the cost of a lawsuit, not to mention the cost of repairs and the down time due to power outage. You are also putting yourself in a liabilty situation if anything goes wrong.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Just to add, it is not that we are attempting to locate the conduit to avoid it, we need to locate it to intercept then tap into it. We know where manhole A is and manhole B we just aren't certain of the exact path the conduit takes between A and B. We go through this all the time and ordinarily our circuit tracers will indentify the conduit and path, in this case the conduit is deeper than we can trace or code requires making the whole matter a PITA. As for liability, just for the privilege to work there I have to have a ridiculous amount of liability insurance.

Last edited:

buddy605

Occupation
Engineering tech/ survey
A couple of months ago I saw a device advertised , it was like a xray machine from what I could work out . It could pick up water pipes , just about any cable , etc . I had a think about it over a few days and decided I would find out some more .... now , I can't remember where I seen that darn thing advertised anywhere . If anyone seen anything like what I,m talking about can you post information about it so a forgetful sole , me , can find out more , Thanks Haddy

That is ground penetrating radar. Ditch witch also makes them. Sounds like over kill for what they are mentioning here. Radiodetection or ditch witch should do the job. the ground penetrating radar is great for finding plastic pipe, PVC etc.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Yeah buddy605,

I'm not going to pay for GPR on a $60k job. I should be able to borrow a Ditch Witch locator then eventually purchase my own since there are too many times when I could use one.
That is ground penetrating radar. Ditch witch also makes them. Sounds like over kill for what they are mentioning here. Radiodetection or ditch witch should do the job. the ground penetrating radar is great for finding plastic pipe, PVC etc.

Tinkerer

There are Ditch Witch locators being offered for sale on Ebay. Here is the owners description of one of them. ---- Ditch Witch Electronics Model #300 SR-ST very good condition. Comes as pictured with carry case and manual. Locator has been very well taken care of. Rides in cab of truck and taken in house at night. Owner operated by me, a utility contractor. Locates accurately and shoot depth within an inch or two.

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
Thanks Tinkerer,

I'll look into that right now.
There are Ditch Witch locators being offered for sale on Ebay. Here is the owners description of one of them. ---- Ditch Witch Electronics Model #300 SR-ST very good condition. Comes as pictured with carry case and manual. Locator has been very well taken care of. Rides in cab of truck and taken in house at night. Owner operated by me, a utility contractor. Locates accurately and shoot depth within an inch or two.

LBTCon

Just to add, it is not that we are attempting to locate the conduit to avoid it, we need to locate it to intercept then tap into it. We know where manhole A is and manhole B we just aren't certain of the exact path the conduit takes between A and B. We go through this all the time and ordinarily our circuit tracers will indentify the conduit and path, in this case the conduit is deeper than we can trace or code requires making the whole matter a PITA. As for liability, just for the privilege to work there I have to have a ridiculous amount of liability insurance.

Understood, just didnt want you to get stuck. Since you are the Electrical Contractor you know what you are dealing with and the dangers involved. Good luck with the project, those government jobs can be a pain.