• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Undercarriage dimensional data: custom sprockets and sourcing alternatives

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I've done a lot of searching for dimensional data with very limited success, both here and on the net. I'm trying to find dimensional data for interchange-ability of undercarriage components. Maybe there is something else out there designed for excavators or other dozers/equipment that might fit my needs.

My Lamtrac uses a Deere 450/550 size undercarriage with standard rollers and SALT rails - easy to source and purchase. HOWEVER, the sprockets are on excavator style drives (Brevini) with a 21 tooth count which is just about impossible to find other than OEM. At over $1,200 per sprocket via OEM and lasting only about 1,000 hours, I feel like I'm being bent over a barrel and taken advantage of. They don't even have the decency to use a lubricant. My starfish is very unhappy as is my wallet. There must be a better solution out there, somewhere.

450/550 drive sprockets are easy to find in 23 or 25 tooth counts but I can't find the dimensions to see if they might be able to fit my application. I could have parts water-jet cut and welded up likely cheaper (and likely longer lasting) than OEM. I was able to find a former part number 050508 that had the 20 bolt holes at 16mm with the correct 21 drive teeth.....but no longer in production and out of stock.

Any suggestions from those that deal with this stuff more often than I do?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The other thing you need to check is the offset of the sprocket. I had the same problem with a Rayco C140 BOHICA. Not only was the diameter different but the offset was as well. With the chain pitch thrown into the mix the only way was OEM to fix the dam thing.
Contact JP O'Hagan snr here at https://hendrixtimbermulchers.com/
he's been known to pull rabbits out of hats.

Edit; If you get OEM sprockets before you fit them find an outfit who specializes in profile cutting and get a pattern made. That way in the future you can get a ring made to weld onto the original. Heck you could get some bucks back from others in your predicament.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

If you get custom sprockets made, have them flame cut. It hardens the edge the same as a flame cut cutting edge on a loader bucket. Would be good to use a medium carbon steel or even T1. The teeth could also be heat treated to give longer life. The circle on Champion graders is flame cut and the teeth are heat treated from what I've read. A little different from drive sprockets but still under a lot of stress.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Exactly the same one that I found. Today, my local undercarriage supplier got me the mechanical drawing of the part. Waiting to talk with a custom source of casting out of state.

Tones, I've had the same pain with that Rayco 140. Everything Fecon sold for it was 3x market price. Every 1,000 hours it needs a new set of rails at $4k, just for those tiny, dry rails. I do everything that I can to backdoor parts and save tons of money. Somedays, I just can't win no matter how hard I try.

OEM sprockets are $1,200+ each. The aftermarket Trax units that used to be available were about $400 each. Significant difference.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Treemuncher, those chains last longer than 1000 hours. Yes the idler gets to its max adjustment then if you remove a link they are good for another 1000. No point in only half wearing something you're going throw out.
Same with the sprockets, mine were only half worn at 1000hrs.
The last set of chains I got were purchased from Komatsu and lasted longer than Berco chains and were cheaper. The new owner fitted ITR chains and were even cheaper but I have no idea how they are lasting
A new grouser here was $138 plus tax an freight from the agent so I found another supplier, paid $27 plus freight. From very early in the peace of owning the POS I got everything like hydraulic pumps and motor parts from the OEM of those components, saved a motza.

Last edited: