• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

under carriage

Reuben

Last week I sent one of our guys down to ITP to get the complete undercarriage for our 550H. Two of us completely changed the whole undercarriage in less then 5 hours. I am sure it has probably been done faster then that but I thought that was pretty dang good,considering it as the first I have ever changed. We took the sub frames off and turned em upside down to change the rollers.The one sub frame was even bent out about 3/4 to 1 inch. I figured a big stone most have got wedged between that tractor and the track to bend it like that. We actually straitened it by blocking it up and pushing down on it with an excavator. Now its strait as Moby's D#%k.

Any way I thought we made good time.

Grouser

Man, I wish I had you around when I replaced the undercarriage on dad's D7F . . . bloody knuckles, dirt in the eyes and just miserable overall . . .

I think it would be hard to beat 5 hours . . took me a week!

CatSkinner77V

Occupation
Earthmoving business owner
just simply replacing everything, new idlers etc is usually a quick job. But when you start just putting new bushings in the front idlers and changing the old pads from the old rails over to the new rails is when time becomes intense. With new rails and pads already together and just changing out the idlers and rollers myself and my righthand man can do a D8 undercarriage (if we don't have to plug weld and re-tap roller bolt holes etc) usually in a big day and a half.

We take the track frames right off and flip them over as well, farting around with a home made roller holder on a floor jack is too time consuming, plus its nice to really put the torque on them when installing the new ones. We have a zoom-boom and an 8 ton picker truck at our disposal as well, find it alot faster doing it outside infront of the shop.

I don't know if you have ever read in the old Caterpillar manuals how they suggest you jack up the cats, I find that much too time consuming as well, I just stack up 2 feet of cut up old railway ties and drive the front up on them, slide by big homemade saw horse underneath and back it back down untill it sits on the frame just behind the rad pan bolts. then do the same thing at the back except jam the railway ties in as close as possible to the grousers and start backing up, the cat with climb vertically before it can go backwards. then i slide my homemade jackstands made from 105 lb per foot 12 inch I-beam underneath the rear just beside the wishbone bolts. and then drive it ahead again untill it sits down, keep driving ahead untill the blocks spit out the back haha.

you learn all kinds of time saving tricks.... usually after you do it the long and hard ways first lol.

Reuben

We also used anti-seize on every bolt and torqued to deeres specs. Anti-seize always helps. Alot of times the problem is the part of the bolt that goes past the threads. They always get corroded and beat up and thats when the break off.

frankderrico

Great to get the undercarriage done in 5 hrs.:notworthy Tricks of the trade, as "Bruno" would say. I usually do the job by myself. I took a car brake shoe and welded it upside down to a car jack the type that scissors up. I put a piece of sheet metal on the ground under the track frame to slide it around. I put the roller on the brake shoe and line it up then use an impact wrench to raise it and hold it in place to start the bolts. Lower it out of the way and finish it with the impact wrench, then breaker bar and a pipe.....Frank:drinkup

idler

Fiive hours is not bad, that is about 10 hours all together, I used to do 953 by myself in seven hours, if you had all the parts, new tracks, rollers, all the segments, the carrier roller and the idler with the new seals, all this parts setting next the machine.

Reuben

fiive hours is not bad, that is about 10 hours all together, i used to do 953 by myself in seven hours, if you had all the parts, new tracks, rollers, all the segments, the carrier roller and the idler with the new seals, all this parts setting next the machine.

it took us five hours total to do the whole thing