• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tyre pressure gauges

diggerop

Occupation
Plant operator, coal mining/ 25 years
I have 3 or 4 tyre pressure gauges, 2 have a face with a needle and the other 2 are the pocket clip type, don't know what the proper names are. I would guess that most people would have a few.
The problem is they all read a bit different. With the tractor and farm stuff it doesn't bother me but with the family car out on the highway I like to have the pressures pretty close to the recommended. Is there any way to find out which one is the most correct? Has anyone used digital gauges and are they accurate or read different between gauges. :cool:
Maybe it would be best to only have one and not to start comparing. :)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First off I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for in tyre pressure gauges. Stick-type gauges are notoriously innacurate and also do not tend to give repeatable results. The same gauge used 3 consecutive times on the same tyre can give 3 slightly different results.

I have not tried digital type gauges but I would think they are the most accurate of the lot. A lot depends on how the gauge is looked after. Dump it n the top of your tool box after use and I would say all bets are off. Also if you buy a really cheap digital gauge how can you guarantee its accuracy based on what you paid for it..?

The accepted way of checking a tyre gauge is to check the pressure of a tyre using a certified calibrated gauge and then check it with your gauge. The calibrated gauge is kept in a box and only used for the purpose of calibration. If the calibrated gauge reads 30psi and your gauge reads 32psi then your gauge is 2 psi off. You can then "adjust" your gauge reading to know the true pressure inside your tyre. If you only use your gauge infrequently (say a couple of times a month) then once every 3 months or so you check it against the calibrated gauge again to make sure the "error" is constant.

Good luck finding a calibrated gauge anywhere. Even your local tyre shop (unless they work a lot with earthmover tyres) will most likely not have one.

tireman

Whatever you do, don't use your good gauge on ballasted tyres, it won't last long - believe me

:pointlaugh:iagree Once is all it takes, and there's no rinsing it out real quick and saving it, either.It's true, as Nige pointed out, just like everything else-you get what you pay for.Get a good one and find a commercial tire dealer with a calibrated(test) gauge and check yours, then take care of it.After all, you are relying on it to properly maintain THE most important (and underrated/overlooked) safety feature on the vehicle your family is riding in.Just sayin'

5030tinkerer

Digital gauges are far superior to their analog cousins. To the point about ballasted tires, you could get by checking these by rotating the tire so that the stem is at 12:00, pressing the Schraeder valve manually in with your finger nail or whatever is handy to dry it out, and then check it with the gauge.

tireman

That will only work on a ballasted tire that is not properly filled.When properly filled, the ballast COMPLETELY covers the rim which would include the valve when it's at 12 o'clock.

5030tinkerer

That will only work on a ballasted tire that is not properly filled.When properly filled, the ballast COMPLETELY covers the rim which would include the valve when it's at 12 o'clock.

I didn't know that. Thanks! Perhaps this is a commercial to run an improperly filled ballasted tire. :confused:

tireman

You're welcome.That's how to keep from rusting the wheel when tubeless, plus the more liquid you get in the more weight you get, which is the point of the exercise to begin with.

Last edited: