• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tyee Machinery Works / Skookum-Tyee

trakloader

Another K-65 Set Up for Grapple Yarding

They're high leading in this picture, but this was one of the grapple spars. Many of the early Madill spars carried Tyee yarders, they were quite popular.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,030

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I was looking for something else and ran across this Tyee pic!

The trailer/tower was built by General of Springfield Oregon. There werent many of these General setups around. They (General) built a great product for many years after this with log, lowbed, and other trailer gear.

Attachments

• Skookum Tyee on General Spar.jpg
    Skookum Tyee on General Spar.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,881

525isx

Occupation
log trucker
Slackline Skookum-Tyee yarder on the Cedar River in Washington in the bushes, owner unknown. Standard TD24 Undercarriage and 90' tower.

1990 Pictures.

owner was Don Walker, it was at the entrance to the Tacoma watershed, the Green river. they finally cut it up for scrap.

tyee33

Occupation
I have been partners in our family owned contract
As soon as i get my posting's out of the way I'll get some pics of my 114 yarding some logs.

donkey doc

as a brush mechanic i have worked on all of them and i can tell you that the these things were a piece of junk. i spent more time working on the brakes than anythang else. when winter came along we all dreaded it. water would git on the brakes and they would not hold. me and the outher mechanic would be up there every day in the winter adjusting the brakes every 5 or 6 turns. factory mechanics could never fix it and one day a rep took me aside and told me that all there machines had the same problalim and that he had talked to the enginers about it and they said there was not a proublim.i was so happy the day it was parked in the lower yard and the boss told me to strip off all the parts we could use on the outher machines because he never wanted to see that piece of junk ever out in the brush again

tyee33

Occupation
I have been partners in our family owned contract
We have been running this one for years around Forks and not much brake trouble or any trouble, got a pretty good operator though. Whe put springs on the band brakes the last time we relined them and the engineer has only had us adjust them twice in the last year that we ran it, but whatever.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Found a few cool old Tyee ads, thought I would share. There's even a slackline Tyee hoist there on a Skookum-Madill trailer mount!

Attachments

• IMG_1084.JPG
    IMG_1084.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 1,407
  • IMG_1077.JPG
    IMG_1077.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,403
  • IMG_1068.JPG
    IMG_1068.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,397
  • IMG_1069.JPG
    IMG_1069.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 1,420
  • IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,395

30 B

Tyre in Fort Brag

30 years ago G P in Fort Brag used a Skookum Tyee to yard old growth redwood, when I saw it they were loading with a Washington TL 21 track loader. There must be pictures somewhere. They pulled huge logs off the bluffs right above the ocean.

trakloader

Tyee Grapple Yarder

This is the only picture I could find of the one and only Tyee Grapple Yarder. I believe this was the last machine Tyee ever built.

Attachments

• tyee gy11.jpg
    tyee gy11.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,258
  • IMG - Copy11.jpg
    IMG - Copy11.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 1,344
Last edited:

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Winch Plate from a Sparamatic

Something from the side of a winch from the old M & B Sparmatic (J-87) at Sproat Lake Division. I'm not sure whether to post this in the other threads or this one, so I'll spread them around. It now hangs on my basement wall. I'll post some other shots of the details in the M & B thread.

Attachments

• IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 1,102
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 1,128

trakloader

Something from the side of a winch from the old M & B Sparmatic (J-87) at Sproat Lake Division. I'm not sure whether to post this in the other threads or this one, so I'll spread them around. It now hangs on my basement wall. I'll post some other shots of the details in the M & B thread.

Look closely at the grapple yarder, it has the same plate on it. A real piece of history, that!

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Build Plate Close-Up

Here's a close-up of the of the K-65 3 drum yarder info from the bottom of the Tyee build plate from the J-87 Sparmatic.

Attachments

• IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    180.4 KB · Views: 1,089

trakloader

Old K65

Anyone up for a restoration project?

Attachments

• trucks 0391.jpg
    trucks 0391.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,025
  • trucks 0421.jpg
    trucks 0421.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,031
  • trucks 0451.jpg
    trucks 0451.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 1,032
  • trucks 0321.jpg
    trucks 0321.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,048

jackd

Occupation
Airline Mechanic
Trakloader - you have got to get a complete shot of that yarder and post it - just for me. That old build plate looks like it's steel whereas mine was bronze - a little bit of aircraft paint stripper and a spray bomb made it new again - that old steel one might be a bugger to clean up. The reason I became an aircraft mechanic instead of a heavy duty was because my weapon of choice is a 1/4" drive socket set versus the 1/2" drive that they use. It also means I still have all of my fingers. Restoring an old beast like that would probably cost me a few digits. Then I couldn't type like I do and help make our book......