• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Two cranes collide

Welder Dave

The reporting could be a lot better. Which crane operator was suspended and which crane hit the other one? Did the tower crane turn into the other crane and cause the jib to collapse or was it two blocked, etc??? Seems like a bunch of people weren't paying attention. Thankfully no fatalities.

wildpig1234

looks like a fix jib rather than a luffing jib. would be very interested to see how that was folded over like that

Natman

I'm starting to think that the reporting on major crane accidents is as bad as any reporting on airplane accidents. They both seem to really capture the gen pub's interest, and the media goes bonkers over them.

crane operator

Still trying to figure what was in lift to injure the 22 so far listed.

Probably a bundle of rebar and scattered that stuff like a 3 year old throwing tinker toys.

Looks like they pulled over the jib, or had it straight up and a load cut loose and it bounced over the back. Probably whapped the tower crane coming past. Sounds like everyone got to go home at least.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I'd guess the tower crane operator forgot about the crawler crane being there. Why would you set up the crawler crane with the tower crane right there?

On many jobsites you have to. We had as many as three towers crossing each other at one time. We had a forth experienced operator just monitoring and watching them from a good spot, listening to the radios and warning them if they were going to swing into a higher cranes cables. He said them 6 weeks were the most stressful time of his career. It can get scary and deadly in a hurry. Looks like on this one they got lucky that no one tipped and died.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
I'd guess the tower crane operator forgot about the crawler crane being there. Why would you set up the crawler crane with the tower crane right there?

The tower hook is dogged off back at the house. Typical out of service position. Either one could have swung into the other.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
https://www.statesman.com/news/20200916/16-hospitalized-after-fleeing-east-austin-crane-collision

There is a good close up picture on the attachment of the boom end. It appears one of the jib pendent lines is hooked behind the sheave shaft protruding out a couple inches on the end of the tower crane. It appears to have pulled the jib right over backwards. A wee bit of boom down hooked like that would do it. The article says all 16 people that are hospitalized got hurt fleeing from the scene. Nothing fell on anyone. Must have been one hell of a panic and every man for himself.

Welder Dave

It sounds like they just found someone experienced with cranes to comment on the accident. Looks like the tower crane operator stayed in the crane but initially it said a crane operator was suspended. Maybe the crawler crane operator was the one suspended???

skyking1

On many jobsites you have to. We had as many as three towers crossing each other at one time. We had a forth experienced operator just monitoring and watching them from a good spot, listening to the radios and warning them if they were going to swing into a higher cranes cables. He said them 6 weeks were the most stressful time of his career. It can get scary and deadly in a hurry. Looks like on this one they got lucky that no one tipped and died.
I've set up under a tower with the boom truck many times. The tower gets booked solid by the ironworkers, for example, and the carpenters need to do some work. That pic in my photo thread setting column steel is an example.

Natman

I've played chicken a few times with the other boom truck guys in my area, on the road. Pass them fast as possible, just a little friendly screwing around, no actual contact though!